Antibiotic prophylaxis in vaginal hysterectomy
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The prophylactic efficacy of three intravenous doses of cefuroxime 1,500 mg plus metronidazole 500 mg in vaginal hysterectomy was compared with placebo in a prospective double-blind randomized study. Febrile morbidity occurred in 13 of 26 patients in the placebo group and 0 of 27 patients in the study group. In a second prospective randomized study, the efficacy of intravenous ciprofloxacin (200 mg single dose) was compared with the cefuroxime plus metronidazole regimen. Febrile morbidity was found in 3 of 54 patients in the ciprofloxacin group, but in none of the 58 patients in the cefuroxime plus metronidazole group.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Osborne NG, Wright RC. Effect of preoperative scrub on the bacterial flora of the endocervix and vagina. Obstet Gynecol 1977;50:148–51.
- Brouwer WK, Hoogkamp-Korstanje JAA, Kuiper KM. Single shot ciprofloxacin, cefuroxim plus metronidazole and placebo as prophylaxis in vaginal hysterectomy. Int J Exp Clin Chemother 1990;3:172–7.
- Duff P, Park R. Antibiotic prophylaxis in vaginal hysterectomy: a review. Obstet Gynecol 1980;50:193–202.
- Grossman JH, Greco TP, Minkin MJ, Adams RL, Hierholzer WJ, Andriole OT. Prophylactic antibiotics in gynaecologic surgery. Obstet Gynecol 1979;53:537–44.
- Hemsell DL, Cunningham G, Kappus S, Nobles B. Cefoxitin for prophylaxis in premenopausal women undergoing vaginal hysterectomy. Obstet Gynecol 1980;56:629–34.
- Mendelson J, Portnay J, De Saint Victor JR, Gelfand MM. Effect of single and multidose cephradine prophylaxis on infectious morbidity of vaginal hysterectomy. Obstet Gynecol 1979;53:31–5.
- Mickel A, Curole D, Lewis C. Cefoxitin sodium: double-blind vaginal hysterectomy prophylaxis in premenopausal patients. Obstet Gynecol 1980;56:222–5.
- Roberts JM, Homesley HD. Low-dose carbenicillin prophylaxis for vaginal and abdominal hysterectomy. Obstet Gynecol 1978;52:83–7.
- Mathews DD, Agarwal V, Gordon AM, et al. A double-blind trial of single dose chemoprophylaxe with cotrimoxazole during vaginal hysterectomy and repair. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1979;86:737–40.
- Hamod KA, Spence MR, Rosenshein NB, et al. Single-dose and multidose prophylaxis in vaginal hysterectomy. A comparison of sodium cepholatin and metronidazole. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1980;136:976–9.
- McDonald PJ, Sanders R, Turnidge J, et al. Optimal duration of cefotaxime prophylaxis in abdominal and vaginal hysterectomy. Drugs 1988;35(Suppl 2):216–20.
About this Article
- Antibiotic prophylaxis in vaginal hysterectomy
Volume 12, Issue 6 , pp 292-295
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Drug therapy
- Pre-operative care
- Industry Sectors