The effect of the anabolic steroid, stanozolol, on the production of procollagenase by human synovial and skin fibroblastsin vitro
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The ability of the anabolic steroid, stanozolol, to stimulate procollagenase production by human synovial and skin fibroblasts was examined in anin vitro assay system. Stanozolol is used therapeutically to treat a variety of connective tissue and vascular disorders and its clinical effects suggest that it can modulate connective tissue breakdown. The results showed that stanozolol was capable in a dose dependent manner, of significantly stimulating procollagenase production by skin fibroblasts. However, in three synovial fibroblast lines no evidence was found of increased collagenase production following treatment with stanozolol; although the synovial fibroblasts secreted significantly increased amounts of procollagenase in response to IL-1. These results may shed some light on the mechanism of actionin vivo of stanozolol in the treatment of connective tissue disorders.
- F. E. Preston,The effect of stanozolol on the fibrinolytic enzyme system in normal adults. Scott. Med. J.,Suppl. 59–63 (1981).
- K. Burnand, G. Clemenson M. Morland, P. E. M. Jarrett and N. L. BrowseVenous lipodermatosclerosis: treatment by fibrinolytic enhancement and elastic compression. Br. Med. J.280, 7–11 (1980).
- J. F. Davidson, M. Lockhead, G. A. McDonald and G. P. McNicol,Fibrinolytic enhancement by stanozolol: a double blind trial. Br. J. Haematol.22, 543–559 (1972).
- P. E. M. Jarrett, M. Morland and N. L. Browse,Treatment of Raynaud's phenomenon by fibrinolytic enhancement. Br. Med. J.2, 523–525 (1978).
- C. H. Chesnut, J. L. Ivey, H. E. Gruber, M. Matthews, W. B. Nelp, K. Sisom and D. J. Baylink,Stanozolol in postmenopausal osteoporosis: therapeutic efficacy and possible mechanism of action. Metabolism32, 571–580 (1983).
- J. J. F. Belch, R. Madhok, B. McArdle, K. McLaughlin, C. Kluft, C. D. Forbes and R. D. Sturrock,The effect of increasing fibrinolysis in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a double blind study of stanozolol. Quart. J. Med.58, 19–27 (1986).
- J. J. F. Belch, B. McArdle, R. Madhok, K. McLaughlin, H. A. Cappell, C. D. Forbes and R. D. Sturrock,Decreased plasma fibrinolysis in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Ann. Rheum. Dis.43, 774–779 (1984).
- M. Couch, F. E. Preston, R. G. Malia and R. G. G. Russell,Changes in plasma osteocalcin concentration following treatment with stanozolol. Clin. Chim. Acta158, 43–47 (1986).
- J. N. Beresford, J. A. Gallagher J. Poser, M. Gowen, M. Couch, A. J. P. Yates, J. A. Kanis and R. G. G. Russell,Effects of the anabolic steroid, stanozolol, on human bone cells in vitro. Calcified Tissue Int.35, Suppl. A25 (1983).
- J. A. Gallagher, J. N. Beresford, M. K. B. McGuire, N. M. Ebsworth, J. E. Meats, M. Gowan, P. Elford, D. Wright, J. Poser, L. A. Coulton, M. Sharrard, B. Imbimbo and R. G. G. Russell,Effects of glucocorticoids and anabolic steroids on cells derived from human skeletal and articular tissues in vitro. Adv. Exp. Med. Biol.171, 279–291 (1984).
- P. R. Elford, J. E. Meats and R. G. G. Russell,Effect of glucocorticosteroids, stanozolol and sex hormones on production of plasminogen activator by human articular chondrocytes. Calcified Tiss. Int.35, Suppl. A25 (1983).
- J. M. Dayer, S. M. Krane, R. G. G. Russell and D. R. Robinson,Production of collagenase and prostaglandins by isolated adherent rheumatoid synovial cells. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA73, 945–949 (1976).
- J. M. Dayer and S. Demezuk,Cytokines and other mediators in rheumatoid arthritis. Springer Semin. Immunopathol.7, 387–413 (1984).
- J. A. Hamilton and J. Slywka.Stimulation of human synovial fibroblast plasminogen activator production by mono-nuclear cell supernatants. J. Immunol.126, 851–855 (1981).
- J. M. Dayer, B. Rochemonteix, B. Burrus, S. Demczuk and C. A. Dinarello,Human recombinant interleukin 1 stimulates collagenase and prostaglandin E 2 production by human synovial cells. J. Clin. Invest.77, 645–648 (1986).
- T. E. Cawston, E. Mercer and J. A. Tyler,The activation of latent pig synovial collagenase. Biochim. Biophys. Acta657, 73–83 (1981).
- E. D. Harris, J. M. Evanson, D. R. DiBona and S. M. Krane,Collagenase and rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum.13, 83–94 (1970).
- M. D. Chard, J. K. Wright and B. L. Hazleman,Isolation and growth characteristics of adult human tendon fibroblasts. Ann. Rheum Dis.46, 385–390 (1987).
- T. E. Cawston and A. J. Barrett,A rapid and reproducible assay for collagenase using 1- 14 C acetylated collagen. Anal. Biochem.99, 340–345 (1979).
- M. I. V. Jayson, A. L. Keegan, C. D. Holland, J. Longstaff, L. Taylor and R. Gush,A study of stanozolol therapy for systemic sclerosis and Raynaud's Phenomenon. Haemostasis14, 53a (1984).
- The effect of the anabolic steroid, stanozolol, on the production of procollagenase by human synovial and skin fibroblastsin vitro
Agents and Actions
Volume 28, Issue 3-4 , pp 279-282
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors