Histamine and histamine-N-methyltransferase in the CSF of patients with multiple sclerosis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The CSF of twenty-six patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) and of twelve control persons was analysed for histamine and histamine-N-methyltransferase (HMT) activity. Both in patients with remitting and progressive type of disease the histamine level was about 60% higher than in the controls. On the other hand in both groups of patients the HMT activity was significantly lower (32% and 40% respectively) than that of controls. These results suggest an altered histamine metabolism in MS. This might be associated with the immune reaction in MS brain.
- M.L. Cuzner andA.N. Davison,The scientific basis of multiple sclerosis, Molec. Aspects Med.2, 147–248 (1979). CrossRef
- K.M. Taylor andS.H. Snyder,Isotopic microassay of histamine, histidine, histidine decarboxylase and histamine methyl-transferase in brain tissue, J. Neurochem.19, 1343–1358 (1972).
- O.H. Lowry, N.J. Rosebrough, A.L. Farr andR.J. Randall,Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent, J. biol. Chem.193, 265–275 (1951).
- L. Tuomisto andL. Eriksson,Histamine and histamine-N-methyltransferase in the goat brain, Agents and Actions12, 142–145 (1982). CrossRef
- C.G. Swahn andG. Sedvall,Identification and determination of tele-methylhistamine in cerebrospinal fluid by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, J. Neurochem.37, 461–466 (1981).
- Gy. Molnár andJ. Moldaván,Histamine content of the cerebrospinal fluid in multiple sclerosis. A preliminary communication, Acta med. acad. sci. hung.22, 271–274 (1966).
- J.J. Dropp,Mast cells in mammalian brain, Acta anat.94, 1–21 (1976).
- H. Van Dijk, M. Rapis, H.E.L. Jacobse-Geels andJ.M.N. Willers,Histamine 2 receptor-mediated immunomodulation in the mouse. I. Immunomodulation by the H 2 agonist tolazoline, Clin. exp. Immunol.35, 470–477 (1979).
- Histamine and histamine-N-methyltransferase in the CSF of patients with multiple sclerosis
Agents and Actions
Volume 13, Issue 2-3 , pp 255-257
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors