Mast cells isolated from guinea-pig lung: characterization and studies on histamine secretion
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A method has been developed for the dispersion of guinea-pig lung into its component cells using the proteolytic enzyme collagenase. The procedure typically yielded 5×106 mast cells per g of tissue with a recovery of histamine ofca. 20%. The mast cells comprised 2% of the total nucleated cells, had a histamine content of 1–2 pg per cell and exhibited a low spontaneous release of the amine (ca. 6%). In contrast to the rat peritoneal mast cell, guinea-pig lung mast cells were refractory to the action of compound 48/80, peptide 401 (MCD-peptide), dextran and Concanavalin A. However, the cells released histamine on antigenic challenge following active sensitization and dose-dependent histamine secretion was also produced by the ionophores A23187, ionomycin and Br-X537A. These results further emphasize the functional heterogeneity of mast cells obtained from different species and tissues.
- J.R. Carstairs, M.M. Dale andJ.L. Mongar,The isolation and some properties of guinea-pig mesenteric mast cells, Expl Cell Res.81, 156–162 (1973). CrossRef
- F.L. Pearce, H. Behrendt, U. Blum G. PobleteFreundt, P. Pult, Ch. Stang-Voss andW. Schmutzler,Isolation and study of functional mast cells from lung and mesentery of the guinea pig, Agents and Actions7, 45–56 (1977). CrossRef
- F.L. Pearce,The use of porous plastic filters in the preparation of cell suspensions, Microscopica Acta79, 43–45 (1977).
- I. Mota andI. Vugman,Effects of anaphylactic shock and compound 48/80 on the mast cells of the guinea pig lung. Nature177, 427–429 (1956).
- J.L. Mongar andH.O. Schild,Inhibition of the anaphylactic reaction, J. Physiol., Lond.135, 301–319 (1957).
- F.L. Pearce andM. Ennis,Isolation and some properties of mast cells from the mesentery of the rat and guinea pig, Agents and Actions10, 124–131 (1980). CrossRef
- P.A. Shore, A. Burkhalter andV.H. Cohn,A method for the fluorimetric assay of histamine in tissues, J. Pharmac. exp. Ther.127, 182–186 (1959).
- G. Atkinson, M. Ennis andF.L. Pearce,The effect of alkaline earth cations on the release of histamine from rat peritoneal mast cells treated with compound 48/80 and peptide 401, Br. J. Pharmac. Chemother.65, 395–402 (1979).
- M. Ennis,Histamine release from human pulmonary mast cells, Agents and Actions12, 60–63 (1982). CrossRef
- A. Sydbom andB. Uvnäs,Potentiation of anaphylactic histamine release from isolated rat pleural mast cells by rat serum phospholipids, Acta physiol. scand.97, 222–232 (1976).
- K.E. Barrett andF.L. Pearce,A comparative study of histamine secretion from rat peritoneal and pleural mast cells, Agents and Actions12, 186–188 (1982). CrossRef
- K.W. Batchelor andD.R. Stanworth,A comparison of the histamine-releasing properties of rat pleural and peritoneal mast cells, Immunology41, 271–278 (1980).
- R.P. Siraganian andK.A. Hazard,Mechanisms of mouse mast cell activation and inactivation for IgE-mediated histamine release, J. Immun.122, 1719–1725 (1979).
- M. Ennis andF.L. Pearce,Differential reactivity of isolated mast cells from the rat and guinea pig, Eur. J. Pharmac.66, 339–345 (1980). CrossRef
- M.K. Church, J.W. Coleman, S.T. Holgate, G.J.-K. Pao andM.T. Welch,The effects of polyamines, 48/80 and calcium ionophore on histamine release from human dispersed lung and adenoidal mast cells, Br. J. Pharmac. Chemother.74, 979–980P (1981).
- F.L. Pearce, A.D. Befus andJ. Bienenstock,Isolation and properties of mast cells from the small bowel lamina propria of the rat, Agents and Actions12, 183–185 (1982). CrossRef
- M.A. Kings andA.L. DeWeck,Pharmacological and immunological aspects of histamine release from horse leucocytes, Int. Archs Allergy appl. Immun.62, 397–408 (1980).
- C. Fewtrell, D. Lagunoff andH. Metzger,Secretion from rat basophilic leukaemia cells induced by calcium ionophores. Effects of pH and metabolic inhibition, Biochim. biophys. Acta644, 363–368 (1981).
- F.L. Pearce andJ. Clements,Effect of disodium cromoglycate and cyclic AMP-active drugs on cytotoxic histamine release from rat mast cells, Biochem. Pharmac.31, 2247–2250 (1982). CrossRef
- I. Mota andI. Vugman,Action of compound 48/80 on the mast cells and histamine content of guinea-pig tissues, Br. J. Pharmac. Chemother.11, 304–307 (1956).
- F.L. Pearce,Functional heterogeneity of mast cells from different species and tissues, Klim. Wchsr.60, 954–957 (1982). CrossRef
- M.K. Church,Cromoglycate-like anti-allergic drugs: a review, Drugs of Today14, 281–341 (1978).
- L.G. Garland, A.F. Green andH.F. Hodson, Inhibitors of the release of anaphylatic mediators. InHandbook of Experimental Pharmacology, vol. 50/II, pp. 467–530 (Eds,G.V.R. Born, A. Farah H. Herken andA.D. Welch). Springer-Verlag, Berlin-Hëidelberg 1978.
- Mast cells isolated from guinea-pig lung: characterization and studies on histamine secretion
Agents and Actions
Volume 13, Issue 2-3 , pp 122-126
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors