A case of urinary tract infection caused byCorynebacterium urealyticum and coryneform group F1
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A case of urinary tract infection (UTI) caused by a fastidious, urea-splitting, antibiotic-sensitive coryneform, identified as CDC group F1, is described. The patient suffered from enrusted cystitis and had had previous and persistent UTIs caused byCorynebacterium urealyticum (formerly CDC group D2). Bacteriological cure was achieved after one month of treatment with amoxicillin plus acetohydroxamic acid.
- Lipsky BA, Goldberger AC, Tompkins LS, Plorde JJ: Infections caused by nondiphtheria corynebacteria. Reviews of Infectious Diseases 1982, 4: 1220–1235.
- Coyle MB, Lipsky BA: Coryneform bacteria in infectious diseases: clinical and laboratory aspects. Clinical Microbiology Reviews 1990,3: 227–246.
- Young VM, Meyers WF, Moody MR, Schimpff SC: The emergence of coryneform bacteria as a cause of nosocomial infections in compromised hosts. American Journal of Medicine 1981, 70: 646–650.
- Soriano F, Ponte C, Santamaría M, Aguado JM, Wilhelmi I, Vela R, Cifuentes-Delatte L:Corynebacterium group D2 as a cause of alkaline-encrusted cystitis: report of four cases and characterization of the organism. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 1985, 21: 788–792.
- Pitcher DG, Soto A, Soriano F, Valero-Guillen PL: Classification of coryneform bacteria associated with human urinary tract infection (group D2) asCorynebacterium urealyticum sp. nov. International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology 1992, 42: 178–181.
- Sofras F, Yiannopoulou K, Kostakopoulos A, Dimopoulos C:Corynebacterium-induced cystitis with mucosal incrustations. Journal of Urology 1988, 139: 810.
- Soriano F, Ponte C, Santamaría M, Torres A, Fernández-Roblas R: Susceptibility of urine isolates ofCorynebacterium group D2 to fifteen antimicrobials and acetohydroxamic acid. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 1987, 20: 349–355.
- Aguado JM, Ponte C, Soriano F: Bacteriuria with a multiply resistant species ofCorynebacterium (Corynebacterium group D2): an unnoticed cause of urinary tract infection. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1987, 156: 144–150.
- Soriano F, Aguado JM, Ponte C, Fernández-Roblas R, Rodriguez Tudela JM: Urinary tract infection caused byCorynebacterium group D2: report of 82 cases and review. Reviews of Infectious Diseases 1990, 12: 1019–1034.
- A case of urinary tract infection caused byCorynebacterium urealyticum and coryneform group F1
European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Volume 11, Issue 7 , pp 626-628
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors