Volcanism on Mercury
- G. N. Katterfeld
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
An interpretation of theMariner 10 pictures shows that volcanic plains are largely developed on Mercury, and old and young lava covers can be distinguished occupying no less than 15% of the photographed surface of this planet. Ten and a half volcanic features attributable tovolcanic domes are visible on the pictures, the largest of which being situated at the centre ofOdin Planitia and having a diameter of 7 km and a height of about 1.4 km. The domes have been mapped on a geologic-morphologic map of Mercury (Katterfeld, 1975).
The study of newly processed photographs of Mercury and of stereopair pictures of its volcanic «maria» has led to the discovery of a huge volcano at the centre of «Martis Mare» with 110 km long diameter and a double top caldera, the diameters of the external and internal crater being 60 and 40 km respectively. The coordinates of this volcano are 21°S and 124°W.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Antoniadi, E.M., 1934,La planète Mercure. Gauthier-Villars, Paris.
- Camichel, H., andDollfus, Au., 1968,La rotation et la cartographie de la planète Mercure. Icarus,8, no. 2.
- Cruikshank, D.P., andChapman, C.R., 1967,Mercury's Rotation and Visual Observations. Sky and Telescope,34, no. 1, p. 24–26.
- Dollfus, Au., Chapman, C.R. et al., 1978,IAU Nomenclature for Albedo Features on the Planet Mercury. Icarus,34, no. 1, p. 210–214 with 1 illustr.
- Katterfeld, G.N., 1970,Topography and Nomenclature of Mercury. Vestnik, Leningrad University, no. 12–2, p. 138–148 (in Russian).
- ——, 1975,Geo-morphologic Map of Mercury at the Scale 1: 4 000 000. Problems of Plenetology, 1977,2, p. 56/57, Leningrad-Yerevan (in Russian).
- ——, andCharushin, G.V., 1973,General Grid Systems of Planets. Modern Geology,4, no. 4, p. 253–287. See also theAlbedo Map of Mercury, p. 282, New York-London-Paris.
- Lowell, P., 1896–97,Popular Astronomy. 4, 360 pp., 32 pl.
- Schiapparelli, G.V., 1889,Sulla rotatione di Mercurio. Astronomische Nachrichten,123, no. 2944, col. 241–250, plus planispherio di Mercurio.
- Tectonics and Volcanism of Planets, 1977, Proc. Intern. Ass. Planet. Symp.,8, Yerevan, Armenia, 16–22 Nov. 1977 —Problems of Planetology, 2, Yerevan, 1977.
About this Article
- Volcanism on Mercury
Volume 47, Issue 3 , pp 531-535
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- G. N. Katterfeld (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Section of Planetology, USSR Astronomic Society, USSR