A novel fibrinolytic enzyme (nattokinase) in the vegetable cheese Natto; a typical and popular soybean food in the Japanese diet
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A strong fibrinolytic activity was demonstrated in the vegetable cheese Natto, which is a typical soybean food eaten in Japan. The average activity was calculated at about 40 CU (plasmin units)/g wet weight. This novel fibrinolytic enzyme, named nattokinase, was easily extracted with saline. The mol. wt and pI were about 20,000 and 8.6, respectively. Nattokinase not only digested fibrin but also the plasmin substrate H-D-Val-Leu-Lys-pNA (S-2251), which was more sensitive to the enzyme than other substrates tried. Diisopropyl fluorophosphate and 2,2,2-trichloro-1-hydroxyethyl-o,o-dimethylphosphate strongly inhibited this fibrinolytic enzyme.
- Yabe, K., Bull. Coll. Agr. Tokyo Univ.2 (1894) 2.
- National Federation of Cooperatives on Natto, in: A Historical Record of Natto, p. 19. Ed. Food Pionia, Natto Research Center, Tokyo 1977.
- Hayashi, W., Natto Kagakukenkyu Kaishi (in Japanese)1 (1977) 85.
- Kameda, S., Chem. pharm. Bull.16 (1968) 189.
- Miyake, S., and Shimizu, J., Bull. Hyogo Agr. Coll. (in Japanese)1 (1953) 11.
- Miyake, S., Watanabe, K., Yoshikawa, M., and Nonoguchi, Y., Seikagaku (in Japanese)28 (1956) 527.
- Claeson, G., Friberger, P., Knos, M., and Eriksson, E., Haemostasis7 (1978) 76.
- Milstone, H., J. Immun.42 (1941) 109.
- Astrup, T., and Müllertz, S., Archs Biochem. Biophys.40 (1952) 346.
- Lowry, O. H., Rosebrough, N. J., Farr, A. L., and Randall, R. J., J. biol. Chem.193 (1951) 265.
- Vesterberg, O., and Svensson, H., Acta chem. scand.20 (1966) 820.
- Okamoto, S., Sato, S., Takada, Y., and Okamoto, U., Keio J. Med.13 (1964) 177.
- Okamoto, S., and Hijikata, A., Drug Design6 (1975) 143.
- Sumi, H., Sasaki, K., Toki, N., and Robbins, K. C., Thromb. Res.20 (1980) 711.
- Toki, N., Sumi, H., Sasaki, K., Boreisha, I., and Robbins, K. C., J. clin. Invest.75 (1985) 1212.
- Mihara, H., Sumi, H., Akazawa, K., Yoneta, T., and Mizumoto, H., Thromb. Haemost.50 (1983) 258.
- A novel fibrinolytic enzyme (nattokinase) in the vegetable cheese Natto; a typical and popular soybean food in the Japanese diet
Volume 43, Issue 10 , pp 1110-1111
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- soybean food
- fibrinolytic enzyme
- serine protease
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Physiology, Miyazaki Medical College, 889-16, Miyazaki, (Japan)
- 2. Department of Fundamental Natural Science, Okayama University of Science, 700, Okayama, (Japan)
- 3. Department of Fermentation Technology, Faculty of Engineering, Yamanashi University, 400, Kofu, (Japan)