Goitrin — a nitrosatable constituent of plant foodstuffs
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
N-nitrosamides are known as direct-acting carcinogens at the site of their formation; they do not need any metabolic activation in vivo. The conditions leading to their formation in the stomach, and also their genotoxicity, have been thoroughly studied with some model compounds1, 2. Several reports link this type of compound to the induction of gastric cancer in human3, 4. However, only limited data are presently available about possible precursors of N-nitrosamides in foods. In the present study we found that goitrin — a naturally occurring compound in cruciferous vegetables and rape—could be easily nitrosated by treatment with nitrite under stomach conditions, yielding with loss of sulfur the N-nitroso-oxazolidone4 (fig.). This product has a mutagenicity pattern and potency similar to that of N-nitroso-N-methyl-N′-nitroguanidine (MNNG) in the Ames Salmonella/mammalian microsome test.
- Mirvish, S.S., Toxicol. appl. Pharmac.31 (1975) 325. CrossRef
- Sugimura, T., Fujimura, S., and Baha, T., Cancer Res.30 (1970) 455.
- Sugimura, T., and Kawachi, T., in: Gastrointestinal Tract Cancer. Eds Lipkin and R.A. Good, Plenum, New York 1978.
- Weisburger, J.H., in: N-Nitroso compounds. Eds R.A. Scanlan and S.R. Tannenbaum. ACS Symposium Series 174 (1981).
- Chisholm, M.D., and Wetter, L.R., Plant Physiol.42 (1967) 1726.
- Elfving, S., Ann. clin. Res. Suppl. 28,12 (1980) 7.
- Preussmann, R., Neurath, G., Wulf-Lorentzen, G., Daiber, D., and Hengy, H., Z. analyt. Chem.202 (1964) 187. CrossRef
- Jorgensen, K.A., Ghattas, A.-B.A.G., and Lawesson, S.-O., in: N-Nitroso compounds, occurrence and biological effects. p. 159. IARC Scientific Publication No. 41 (1982).
- Ames, B.N., McCann, J., and Yamasaki, E., Mutation Res.31 (1975) 347.
- Miyahara, M., Miyahara, M., Kamiya, S., and Maekawa, A., Chem. pharm. Bull., Tokyo29 (1981) 2366.
- Hassner, A., and Reuss, H., J. org. Chem.39 (1974) 553. CrossRef
- Fenwick, G.R., Heaney, R.K., and Mullin, W.J., CRC in Food Science & Nutrition18 (1983) 123.
- Fine, D.H., Challis, B.C., Hartman, P., and Van Ryzin, J., in: N-Nitroso compounds, occurrence and biological effects. IARC Scientific Publ. No. 41 (1982).
- Correa, P., Cuella, C., Fajardo, L.F., Haenszel, W., Bolanos, O., and de Ramirez, B., J. Natn. Cancer Inst.70 (1983) 673.
- Goitrin — a nitrosatable constituent of plant foodstuffs
Volume 40, Issue 5 , pp 452-453
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors