The relationship between high and low trait psychological stress, serum testosterone, and serum cortisol
- K. T. Francis
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Psychological stress, as measured by the parameters of trait anxiety, hostility, and depression, was compared in the group of males age 30–55 with serum levels of testosterone. Those males who were classified as high psychological stress had significantly lower testosterone levels than did their low stress counterparts. However, comparison of their serum cortisol values revealed similar concentrations in both groups.
- J. W. Mason, Psychosom. Med.30, 565 (1968).
- J. w. Mason, in: Emotions — Their Parameters and Measurement. Ed. L. Levi. Raven Press, New York 1975.
- R. M. Rose, Psychosom. Med.31, 405 (1969).
- L. E. Kreuz, R. M. Rose and J. R. Jennings, Archs gen. Psychiat.26, 479 (1972).
- H. Persky, K. D. Smith and G. K. Basu, Psychosom. Med.33, 265 (1971).
- R. M. Rose, P. G. Bourne and R. D. Poe, Psychosom. Med.31, 418 (1969).
- C. D. Spielberger, R. L. Gorsuch and R. E. Lushene, Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory. Consulting Psychological Press, Pala Alto, Ca. 1970.
- M. Zuckerman and B. Lubin, Manual for the Multiple Affect Adjective Check List. Educational and Industrial Testing Service. San Diego, Ca. 1979.
- K. T. Francis, Psychosom. Med.41, 617 (1979).
- K. T. Francis, Fedn Proc.40, 330 (1981).
- E. Rolleri, M. Zinino and R. Orlandini, Clin. chim. Acta66, 319 (1976). CrossRef
- F. J. Auletta, B. V. Caldwell and G. L. Hamilton, in: Methods of Hormone Radioimmunoassay, chapter 21. Ed. B. M. Jaffee and H. R. Behrman. Academic Press, New York 1974.
- J. W. Mason, Psychosom. Med.30, 576 (1968).
- J. W. Mason, C. C. Kenion and D. R. Collins, Psychosom. Med.30, 721 (1968).
- H. Selye, The Physiology of Exposure to Stress. Acta Inc., Montreal, Canada 1950.
- H. Selye, Selye's Guide to Stress Research. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York 1980.
- The relationship between high and low trait psychological stress, serum testosterone, and serum cortisol
Volume 37, Issue 12 , pp 1296-1297
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- K. T. Francis (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Physical Therapy, School of Community and Allied Health, The University of Alabama, 35294, Birmingham, Alabama, USA