Gaussian wavelet transform: Two alternative fast implementations for images
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A series of schemes for pyramid multiresolution image coding has been proposed, all of them based on sets of orthogonal functions. Several of them are implementable in the spatial domain (such as wavelets), whereas others are more suitable for Fourier domain implementation (as for instance the cortex transform). Gabor functions have many important advantages, allowing easy and fast implementations in either domain, but are usually discarded by their lack of orthogonality which causes incomplete transforms. In this paper we quantify such effect, showing a Gaussian Wavelet Transform, GWT, withquasiorthogonal Gabor functions, which allows robust and efficient coding. Our particular GWT is based on a human visual model. Its incompleteness causes small amounts of reconstruction errors (due to small indentations in the MTF), which, however, are irrelevant under criteria based on visual perception.
- M.J. Bastiaans, “A sampling theorem for the complex spectrogram, and Gabor's expansion of a signal in Gaussian elementary signals,”Opt. Engineer. 20, pp. 594–598, 1981.
- P.L. Burt and E.H. Adelson, “The laplacian pyramid as a compact image code,”IEEE Transactions on Communications COM-31, pp. 532–540, 1983.
- F.W. Campbell and J.J. Kulikowski, “Orientation selectivity of the human visual system”J. of Physiology 187, pp. 437–445, 1966.
- J.G. Daugman, “Spatial visual channels in the Fourier plane,”Vision Research 24, pp. 891–910, 1984.
- J.G. Daugman, “Complete discrete 2-D Gabor transform by neural networks for image analysis and compression,”IEEE Transactions on Acoustic Speech and Signal Processing ASSP-36, pp. 1169–1169, 1988.
- R.L. De Valois, D.G. Albrecht, and L.G. Thorell, “Spatial frequency selectivity of cells in macaque visual cortex,”Vision Research 22, pp. 545–559, 1982.
- D.J. Field, “Relation between the statistics of natural images and the response properties of cortical cells,”J. of the Optical Society of America A 4, pp. 2379–2394, 1987.
- E. Freysz, B. Pouligny, F. Argoul, and A. Arneodo, “Optical wavelet transform of fractal aggregates,”Phys. Rev. Lett. 64, pp. 745–748, 1990.
- D. Gabor, “Theory of communication,”J. Inst. Elect. Eng. 93, pp. 429–457, 1946.
- R.C. Gonzalez and P. Wintz,Digital Image Processing. Addison-Wesley: London, 1977.
- L.D. Jacobson and H. Wechsler, “Joint spatial/spatial-frequency representations,”Signal Processing 14, pp. 37–68, 1988.
- J. Jones and L. Palmer, “An evaluation of the two-dimensional Gabor filters model of simple receptive fields in cat striate cortex,”J. of Neurophysiology 58, pp. 538–539, 1987.
- S.G. Mallat, “A theory of multiresolution signal decomposition: the wavelet representation,”IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence PAMI-11, pp. 674–693, 1989.
- S. Marcelja, “Mathematical description of the response of simple cortical cells,”J. of the Optical Society of America 70, pp. 1297–1300, 1980.
- J. Morlet, G. Arens, I. Forgeau, and D. Giard, “Wave propagation and sampling theory,”Geophysics 47, pp. 203–236, 1982.
- R. Navarro, J. Santamaria, and R. Gómez, “Automatic log spectrum restoration of atmospheric seeing,”Astronomy and Astrophysics 174, pp. 334–351, 1987.
- D.A. Pollen and S.F. Ronnen, “Visual cortical neurons as localized spatial filters,”IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics SMC-13, pp. 284–302, 1983.
- M. Porat and Y.Y. Zeevi, “The generalized Gabor scheme for image representation in biological and machine vision,”IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence PAMI-10, pp. 452–468, 1988.
- A. Rosenfeld,Multiresolution Image Processing and Analysis. Springer-Verlag: New York/Berlin, 1984.
- E.P. Simoncelli and E.H. Adelson, “Nonseparable extensions of quadrature mirror filters to multiple dimensions,”Proc. of the IEEE 78, pp. 652–664, 1990.
- A. Tabernero and R. Navarro, “Performance of Gabor functions for texture analysis,”IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence PAMI (submitted).
- A.B. Watson, “The cortex transform: rapid computation of simulated neural images,”Computer Vision, Graphics and Image Processing 39, pp. 311–327, 1987.
- A.B. Watson, “Perceptual-components architecture for digital video,”J. of the Optical Society of America A 7, pp. 1943–1954, 1990.
- J.W. Woods and S.D. O'Neal, “Subband coding of images,”IEEE Trans. on Acoustic Speach and Signal Procesing ASSP-34, pp. 1278–1288, 1986.
- Gaussian wavelet transform: Two alternative fast implementations for images
Multidimensional Systems and Signal Processing
Volume 2, Issue 4 , pp 421-436
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Gaussian wavelets
- Gabor functions
- image coding
- space and frequency domains implementations
- Industry Sectors