Screening for spatial dependence in regression analysis
- Arthur Getis
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A technique of analysis is presented that is designed to circumvent the problem of finding wasy to estimate parameters of spatially stochastic independent variables. It is based on 1) a type of second-order analysis that describes the spatial association among weighted observations, and 2) a screening procedure that removes most of the spatial dependence in the dependent variable. The approach is illustrated by a study of the incidence of certain crimes in 49 districts of Columbus, Ohio. It is concluded that spatial justaposition of observations plays a large role in regression analyses that are based on spatial series.
- Anselin, L. 1988a. Model validation in spatial econometrics: a review and evaluation of alternative approaches.International Regional Science Review 11: 279–316.
- Anselin, L. 1988b.Spatial econometrics: methods and models. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Anselin, L. 1989.Spatial regression analysis on the PC: spatial econometrics using Gauss. Available from author.
- Anselin, L. and Griffith, D. A. 1988. Do spatial effects really matter in regression analysis?Papers of the Regional Science Association 65: 11–34.
- Cliff, A. D., and Ord, J. K. 1973.Spatial autocorrelation. London: Pion.
- Gètis, A. 1984. Interation modeling using second-order analysis.Environment and Planning A 16: 173–83.
- Gètis, A. and Franklin, J. 1987. Second-order neighborhood analysis of mapped point patterns.Ecology 68: 473–7.
- Griffith, D. 1988.Advanced spatial statistics: special topics in the exploration of quantitative spatial data series. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Haining, R. 1980. Spatial autocorrelation problems. InGeography and the urban environment: progress in research and application, eds. D. Herbert and R. Johnston, 3, New York: Wiley, pp. 1–44.
- Ripley, B. 1981.Spatial statistics, New York: Wiley.
- Wartenberg, D. 1985. Multivariate spatial correlation: a method for exploratory geographical analysis.Geographical Analysis 17: 263–83.
- Screening for spatial dependence in regression analysis
Papers of the Regional Science Association
Volume 69, Issue 1 , pp 69-81
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Arthur Getis (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Geography, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 220 Davenport Hall, 607 S. Mathews, 61801, Urbana, Illinois, USA