A universal compiler system based on production rules
- Bálint Dömölki
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper describes a compiler system which makes use of production rules for the translation. The source language syntax is defined in terms of a phrase structure grammar. Semantic rules are provided by an extension of the production rules, and special symbols are introduced for this purpose. Recognition of symbol strings is facilitated by a special syntactic filter routine. An example of a simple macro compiler is given to illustrate the basic concepts of the system.
- Brooker, R. A. and Morris, D.,A general translation program for phrase-structure languages, Jour. ACM, 1962, vol. 9, No. 1.
- Chomsky, N.,On certain formal properties of grammars, Information and Control, 1959, vol. 2, No. 2.
- Eickel, J. and Paul, M.,The parsing and ambiguity problem for Chomsky languages, Formal Language Description Languages (Ed. by T. B. Steel), North-Holland Publishing Company, Amsterdam, 1966, pp. 52–75.
- Ginsburg, S. and Greibach, S.,Deterministic context-free languages, Information and Control, 1966, vol. 9, No. 6.
- Ingerman, P. Z.,A syntax-oriented translator, Academic Press, New York and London 1966.
- Irons, E. T.,A syntax-directed compiler for ALGOL 60, Comm. ACM, 1961, vol. 4, No. 1.
- Kleene, S. C.,Introduction to metamathematics, Princeton, N. J., van Nostrand, 1952.
- Wilkes, M. V.,An experiment with a self-compiling compiler for a simple list-processing language, Annual Review in Automatic Programming, Vol. 4, 1964, Pergamon Press, New York.
- Zhogolev, E. A.,Algorithm for the recognition of categories using syntactic tables, (Russian), Journal of computing mathematics and mathematical physics, Moscow, 1965, vol. 5, No. 4.
- Dömölki, B.,Algorithms for the recognition of properties of symbol strings, (Russian), Journal of computing mathematics and mathematical physics, Moscow 1965, vol. 5, No. 1.
- Dömölki, B.,Problems of the syntactic analysis of formal languages, (Russian), Computational Linguistics, Budapest No. 5, 1967.
- A universal compiler system based on production rules
BIT Numerical Mathematics
Volume 8, Issue 4 , pp 262-275
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- phrase structure grammar
- production rules
- Industry Sectors
- Bálint Dömölki (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Laboratory for Information Processing, Budapest, Hungary