On the use of splines for the numerical solution of nonlinear two-point boundary value problems
- R. P. Tewarson
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cubic splines on splines and quintic spline interpolations are used to approximate the derivative terms in a highly accurate scheme for the numerical solution of two-point boundary value problems. The storage requirement is essentially the same as for the usual trapezoidal rule but the local accuracy is improved fromO(h 3) to eitherO(h 6) orO(h 7), whereh is the net size. The use of splines leads to solutions that reflect the smoothness of the slopes of the differential equations.
- F. B. Hildebrand,Introduction to Numerical Analysis, Second Ed., McGraw-Hill, New York (1974).
- M. Lentini and V. Pereyra,A variable order finite difference method for nonlinear multipoint boundary value problems, Math. Comp. 28 (1974), pp. 981–1003.
- H. B. Keller,Numerical solution of boundary value problems for ordinary differential equations: survey and some recent results of difference methods, inNumerical Solution of Boundary Value Problems for Ordinary Differential Equations, A. K. Aziz (Ed.), Academic Press, New York (1975), pp. 27–88.
- J. H. Ahlberg, E. N. Wilson, and J. H. Walsh,The Theory of Splines and their Applications, Academic Press, New York (1967).
- Z. Kopal,Numerical Analysis, Second Ed., John Wiley, New York (1961), pp. 555–557.
- V. Dolezal and R. P. Tewarson,Error bounds for spline on spline computations, submitted for publication (1979).
- R. P. Tewarson, J. L. Stephenson, A. Kydes and R. Mejia,Use of sparse matrix techniques in the numerical solution of differential equations for renal counterflow systems, Comp. and Biomed. Res. 9 (1976), pp. 507–520. CrossRef
- R. P. Tewarson,Sparse Matrices, Academic Press, New York, (1973).
- J. M. Ortega and W. C. Rheinboldt,Iterative Solution of Nonlinear Equations in Several Variables, Academic Press, New York (1970), p. 425.
- M. Schultz,Spline Analysis, Prentice Hall (1973), p. 55.
- R. P. Tewarson and P. Farahzad,On the numerical solution of differential equations for renal counterflow systems, Computers and Biomed. Res. 11 (1978), pp. 381–391. CrossRef
- On the use of splines for the numerical solution of nonlinear two-point boundary value problems
BIT Numerical Mathematics
Volume 20, Issue 2 , pp 223-232
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- R. P. Tewarson (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Applied Mathematics and Statistics Department, State University of new York at Stony Brook, 11794, N.Y., USA