An improved Monte Carlo factorization algorithm
- Richard P. Brent
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Pollard's Monte Carlo factorization algorithm usually finds a factor of a composite integerN inO(N 1/4) arithmetic operations. The algorithm is based on a cycle-finding algorithm of Floyd. We describe a cycle-finding algorithm which is about 36 percent faster than Floyd's (on the average), and apply it to give a Monte Carlo factorization algorithm which is similar to Pollard's but about 24 percent faster.
- M. Beeler, R. W. Gosper and R. Schroeppel,Hakmem, M.I.T. Artificial Intelligence Lab. Memo No. 239, Feb. 1972, item 132, pg. 64.
- W. Diffie and M. Hellman,New directions in cryptography, IEEE Trans. Information Theory IT-22 (1976), 644–654. CrossRef
- D. E. Knuth,The Art of Computer Programming, vol. 2, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1969.
- G. L. Miller,Riemann's hypothesis and a test for primality, Proc. Seventh Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, ACM, New York, 1975, 234–239.
- M. A. Morrison and J. Brillhart,A method of factoring and the factorization of F 7, Math. Comp. 29 (1975), 183–208.
- J. M. Pollard,Theorems on factorization and primality testing, Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc. 76 (1974), 521–528.
- J. M. Pollard,A Monte Carlo method for factorization, BIT 15 (1975), 331–334. MR50#6992. CrossRef
- J. M. Pollard,Monte Carlo methods for index computation (mod p), Math. Comp. 32 (1978), 918–924. MR52#13611.
- M. Rabin,Probabilistic algorithms, inAlgorithms and Complexity (J. F. Traub, ed.), Academic Press, New York, 1976, 31–40.
- R. L. Rivest, A. Shamir and L. Adleman,A method for obtaining digital signatures and public-key cryptosystems, Comm. ACM 21 (1978), 120–126. CrossRef
- R. Sedgewick and T. G. Szymanski,The complexity of finding periods, Proc. Eleventh Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, ACM, New York, 1979, 74–80.
- D. Shanks,Class number, a theory of factorization, and genera, Proc. Sympos. Pure Math., vol. 20, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, Rhode Island, 1970, 415–440. MR47#4932.
- R. Solovay and V. Strassen,A fast Monte-Carlo test for primality, SIAM J. Computing 6 (1977), 84–85. CrossRef
- M. C. Wunderlich and J. L. Selfridge,A design for a number theory package with an optimized trial division routine, Comm. ACM 17 (1974), 272–276. CrossRef
- Anonymous,ML-15,Random number generator, TI Programmable 58/59 Master Library, Texas Instruments Inc., 1977, 52–54.
- An improved Monte Carlo factorization algorithm
BIT Numerical Mathematics
Volume 20, Issue 2 , pp 176-184
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Richard P. Brent (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Computer Science, Australian National University, 2600, Canberra, A.C.T., Australia