Perturbation bounds in connection with singular value decomposition
- Per-Åke Wedin
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
LetA be anm ×n-matrix which is slightly perturbed. In this paper we will derive an estimate of how much the invariant subspaces ofA H A andAA H will then be affected. These bounds have the sin ϑ theorem for Hermitian linear operators in Davis and Kahan  as a special case. They are applicable to computational solution of overdetermined systems of linear equations and especially cover the rank deficient case when the matrix is replaced by one of lower rank.
- Ch. Davis and W. M. Kahan,The rotation of eigenvectors by a perturbation. III, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 7 (1970), 1–46.
- T. Kato,Perturbation theory for linear operators, Springer, Berlin and New York, 1966.
- L. Mirsky,Symmetric gauge functions and unitarily invariant norms, Quart, J, Math. Oxford, Ser. 2, 11 (1960), 50–59.
- A. Ruhe,Perturbation bounds for means of eigenvalues and invariant subspaces, BIT 10 (1970), 343–354.
- P.-Å. Wedin,Perturbation theory for pseudo-inverses, to appear.
- P.-Å. Wedin,On pseudoinverses of perturbed matrices, Lund Un. Comp. Sc. Tech. Rep. 1969.
- M. K. Gavurin,Ill-conditioned systems of linear algebraic equations, Zh. Vychisl. Mat. i Mat. Fiz., 2 (1962), 387–397.
- Perturbation bounds in connection with singular value decomposition
BIT Numerical Mathematics
Volume 12, Issue 1 , pp 99-111
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Per-Åke Wedin (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Computer Sciences, Lund University, Sölvegatan 14A, S-22362, Lund, Sweden