On the compactness of quasi-conforming element spaces and the convergence of quasi-conforming element method
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper, the compactness of quasi-conforming element spaces and the—convergence of quasi-conforming element method are discussed. The well-known Rellich compactness theorem is generalized to the sequences of quasi-conforming element spaces with certain properties, and the generalized Poincare inequality. The generalized Friedrichs inequality and the generalized inequality of Poincare-Friedrichs are proved true for them. The error estimates are also given. It is shown that the quasi-conforming element method is convergent if the quasi-conforming element spaces have the approximability and the strong continuity, and satisfy the rank condition of element and pass the test IPT. As practical examples, 6-parameter, 9-paramenter, 12-paramenter, 15-parameter, 18-parameter and 21-paramenter quasi-conforming elements are shown to be convergent, and their L2′2(Ω)-errors are O(hτ), O(hτ), O(h τ 2 ), O(h τ 2 ), O(h τ ′ ), and O(h τ 4 ) respectively.
- Hong-qing, Zhang, Ming, Wang (1985) Finite element approximations with multiple sets of functions and quasi-conforming element for plate bending problems. Applied Mathematics and Mechanics 6: pp. 41-52
- Zhang Hong-qing, and Wang Ming, Finite element approximations with multiple sets of functions and quasi-conforming elements,Fifth international symposium on differential geometry and differential equations-computation of partial differential equations, Beijing, China (1984).
- Li-min, Tang, Wan-ji, Chen, Ying-xi, Liu (1980) Quasi-conforming elements for finite element analysis. Journal of Dalian Institute of Technology 19: pp. 19-35
- Wan-ji, Chen, Ying-xi, Liu, Li-min, Tang (1980) The formulation of quasi-conforming elements. Journal of Dalian Institute of Technology 19: pp. 37-49
- He-yong, Jiang (1981) Derivation of higher precision triangular plate element by quasi-conforming element method. Journal of Dalian Institute of Technology 20: pp. 21-28
- Stummel, F. (1979) The generalized patch test. SIAM J. Num. Anal. 16: pp. 449-471
- Kang, Feng (1979) On the theory of discontinuous finite elements. Mathematicae Numericae Sinica 1: pp. 378-385
- Stummel, F. (1980) Basic compactness properties of nonconforming and hybrid finite element spaces. RAIRO, Analyse, Numeriqe, Numerical Analysis 4: pp. 81-115
- Ciarlet, P.C. (1978) The Finite Element Method for Elliptic Problems. North-Holland, Amsterdam, New York, Oxford
- Yosida Kosaku,Functional Analysis, Fifth edition, Springer-Verlag (1978).
- On the compactness of quasi-conforming element spaces and the convergence of quasi-conforming element method
Applied Mathematics and Mechanics
Volume 7, Issue 5 , pp 443-459
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors