Vector-valued, rational interpolants III
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In 1963, Wynn proposed a method for rational interpolation of vector-valued quantities given on a set of distinct interpolation points. He used continued fractions, and generalized inverses for the reciprocals of vector-valued quantities. In this paper, we present an axiomatic approach to vector-valued rational interpolation. Uniquely defined interpolants are constructed for vector-valued data so that the components of the resulting vector-valued rational interpolant share a common denominator polynomial. An explicit determinantal formula is given for the denominator polynomial for the cases of (i) vector-valued rational interpolation on distinct real or complex points and (ii) vector-valued Padé approximation. We derive the connection with theε-algorithm of Wynn and Claessens, and we establish a five-term recurrence relation for the denominator polynomials.
- C. Brezinski (1974):Some results in the theory of the vector ε-algorithm. Linear Algebra Appl.,8:77–86.
- C. Brezinski (1975):Numerical stability of a quadratic method for solving systems of non-linear equations. Computing,14:205–211.
- C. Brezinski (1976):Computation of Padé approximants and continued fractions. J. Comput. Appl. Math.,2:113–123.
- C. Brezinski (1980): Padé-Type Approximations and General Orthogonal Polynomials. Basel: Birkhäuser.
- C. Brezinski, A. C. Rieu (1974):The solution of systems of equations using the ε-algorithm, and an application to boundary-value problems. Math. Comp.,28:731–741.
- G. Claessens (1978):A useful identity for the rational hermite interpolation table. Numer. Math.,29:227–231.
- E. Gekeler (1972):On the solution of systems of equations by the epsilon algorithm of Wynn. Math. Comp.,26:427–436.
- J. Gilewicz (1978): Approximants de Padé, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, vol 667. Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, pp. 231–245.
- P. R. Graves-Morris (1981):Efficient, reliable rational interpolation. In: Padé Approximation and its Applications, Amsterdam 1980 (M. G. de Bruin, H. van Rossum eds.). New York; Springer-Verlag.
- P. R. Graves-Morris (1983):Vector-valued rational interpolants I. Numer. Math.,41:331–348.
- P. R. Graves-Morris, C. Jenkins (1984):Generalised inverse vector valued rational interpolation. In: Padé Approximation and its Applications, BadHonnef, 1983 (H. Werner, H. J. Hünger eds.). Lectures Notes in Mathematics, vol. 1071. Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, pp. 144–156.
- P. R. Graves-Morris, C. D. Jenkins (1986): In preparation.
- J. B. McCleod (1971):A Note of the ε-algorithm. Computing,7:17–24.
- J. Nuttall (1970):Convergence of Padé approximants of meromorphic functions. J. Math. Anal. Appl.,31:147–153.
- D. E. Roberts, P. R. Graves-Morris (1986):The Application of Generalised Inverse Rational Interpolants in the Modal Analysis of Vibrating Structures I. In: Proceedings of the IMA Shrivenham Conference, 1985 (M. G. Cox, J. C. Mason eds.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- D. A. Smith, W. F. Ford, A. Sidi (1985):Extrapolation methods for vector sequences. Duke University reprint.
- H. C. Thacher, J. W. Tukey (1960): Rational Interpolation Made Easy by a Recursive Algorithm. Unpublished.
- P. Wynn (1962):Acceleration techniques for iterated vector and matrix problems. Math. Comp.,16:301–322.
- P. Wynn (1963):Continued fractions whose coefficients obey a non-commutative law of multiplication. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal.,12:273–312.
- Vector-valued, rational interpolants III
Volume 2, Issue 1 , pp 263-289
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Rational interpolation
- Vector-valued data
- Continued fractions