Hölder exponents and box dimension for self-affine fractal functions
- Tim Bedford
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We consider some self-affine fractal functions previously studied by Barnsleyet al. The graphs of these functions are invariant under certain affine scalings, and we extend their definition to allow the use of nonlinear scalings. The Hölder exponent,h, for these fractal functions is calculated and we show that there is a larger Hölder exponent,h λ, defined at almost every point (with respect to Lebesgue measure). For a class of such functions defined using linear affinities these exponents are related to the box dimensionD B of the graph byh≤2−D B≤h λ.
- M. F. Barnsley (1985): Fractal Functions and Interpolation. Atlanta: Georgia Institute of Technology Preprints.
- M. F. Barnsley, A. N. Harrington (1985): The Calculus of Fractal Interpolation Functions. Atlanta: Georgia Institute of Technology Preprints.
- T. J. Bedford (1986):Dimension and dynamics for fractal recurrent sets. J. London Math. Soc. (2),33:89–100.
- A. S. Besicovitch, H. D. Ursell (1937):Sets of fractional dimensions, V: On dimensional numbers of some continuous curves. J. London Math. Soc.,12:18–25.
- R. Bowen (1975): Equilibrium States and the Ergodic Theory of Anosov Diffeomorphisms. Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Vol. 470. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.
- R. Bowen (1979): Hausdorff Dimension of Quasi-Circles. Publications Mathématiques, Vol. 50. Paris: Institut des Hautes Etudes Scientifiques, pp. 11–25.
- H. Cajar (1981): Billingsley Dimension in Probability Spaces. Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Vol. 892. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.
- A. Fathi, M. R. Herman, J. C. Yoccoz (1981):A proof of Pesin's stable manifold theorem. In: Geometric Dynamics (J. Palis Jr., ed.). Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Vol. 1007. Berlin, Springer-Verlag.
- D. P.Hardin (1986): Personal communication.
- D. P. Hardin, P. R. Massopust (1986):The capacity for a class of functions. Comm. Math. Phys.,105:455–460.
- J. E. Hutchinson (1981):Fractals and self-similarity. Indiana Univ. Math. J.,30:713–747.
- C.Tricot:Two definitions of fractional dimension. Math. Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc.,91:57–74.
- Hölder exponents and box dimension for self-affine fractal functions
Volume 5, Issue 1 , pp 33-48
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Hölder exponents
- Box dimension
- Gibbs measures
- Tim Bedford (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. King's College Research Centre, King's College, CB2 1ST, Cambridge, England