Recurrent iterated function systems
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Recurrent iterated function systems generalize iterated function systems as introduced by Barnsley and Demko [BD] in that a Markov chain (typically with some zeros in the transition probability matrix) is used to drive a system of mapsw j :K →K,j=1, 2,⋯,N, whereK is a complete metric space. It is proved that under “average contractivity,” a convergence and ergodic theorem obtains, which extends the results of Barnsley and Elton [BE]. It is also proved that a Collage Theorem is true, which generalizes the main result of Barnsleyet al. [BEHL] and which broadens the class of images which can be encoded using iterated map techniques. The theory of fractal interpolation functions [B] is extended, and the fractal dimensions for certain attractors is derived, extending the technique of Hardin and Massopust [HM]. Applications to Julia set theory and to the study of the boundary of IFS attractors are presented.
- M. F. Barnsley (1986):Fractal functions and interpolation. Constr. Approx.,2:303–329.
- M. F. Barnsley, S. Demko (1985):Iterated function systems and the global construction of fractals. Proc. Roy. Soc. London Ser. A,399:243–275.
- M. F. Barnsley, J. Elton (1988):A new class of Markov processes for image encoding. Adv. in Appl. Probab.,20:14–32.
- M. F. Barnsley, V. Ervin, D. P. Hardin, J. Lancaster (1986):Solution of an inverse problem for fractals and other sets. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.,83:1975–1977.
- M. F.Barnsley, J.Elton, D.Hardin, P.Massopust (preprint): Hidden Variable Fractal Interpolation Functions.
- M. F. Barnsley, J. S. Geronimo, A. N. Harrington (1984):Geometry and combinatorics of Julia sets of real quadratic maps. J. Statist. Phys.,37:51–92.
- M. F.Barnsley, A. D.Sloan (1986) (preprint):Image compression.
- T.Bedford Dimension and dynamics for fractal recurrent sets.
- M.Berger, Y.Amit (preprint):Products of random affine maps.
- F. M.Dekking (1982): Recurrent Sets: A Fractal Formalism. Delft University of Technology.
- J. Dugundji (1966): Topology. Boston: Allyn and Bacon, p. 253.
- J. Elton (1987):An ergodic theorem for iterated maps. Ergodic Theory Dynamical Systems,7:481–488.
- W. Feller (1957): An Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications. London: Wiley.
- J. Hutchinson (1981):Fractals and self-similarity. Indiana Univ. Math. J.,30:731–747.
- D. P. Hardin, P. Massopust (1986):Dynamical systems arising from iterated function systems. Comm. Math. Phys.,105:455–460.
- U. Krengel (1985): Ergodic Theorems, New York: de Gruyter.
- T. Li, J. A. Yorke (1975):Period three implies chaos. Amer. Math. Monthly,82:985–992.
- E. Seneta (1973): Non-negative Matrices. New York: Wiley.
- Recurrent iterated function systems
Volume 5, Issue 1 , pp 3-31
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Iterated function systems
- Random maps
- Markov chain
- Lyapunov exponent