cDNA sequence analysis and mutagenesis studies on the a chain of Β-bungarotoxin from Taiwan banded krait
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The cDNA encoding the A chain ofΒ-bungarotoxin (Β-Bgt) was constructed from the cellular RNA isolated from the venom glands ofBungarus multicinctus (Taiwan banded krait). The deduced amino acid sequence encoding the A chain revealed that the determined chain was different from the known A chains (A1, A2, A3, A4, and A5). Nevertheless, the amino acid sequence and the cDNA sequence of the novel A chain were highly homologous with those of other A chains. The gene encoding the A chain ofΒ-Bgt was subjected to mutagenesis, and the Tyr-11, Cys-15, and Leu-72 of the A chain were substituted by Cys-11, Ser-15, and Cys-72, respectively. Instead of the six disulfide bonds observed with the A chain, the resulting mutant contained seven disulfide linkages in its molecular structure which simulated those of presynaptic PLA2 neurotoxins and PLA2 enzymes. However, the mutant did not exhibit a higher phospholipase activity than that noted with the recombinant A chain. These results seem to suggest that, in the absence of the B chain, the six pairs of disulfide bonds in the recombinant A-chain molecule are enough to maintain its active conformation for exerting the phospholipase activity.
- Abe, T., Alema, S., and Miledi, R. (1977).Eur. J. Biochem. 80, 1–12.
- Araujo, A. L. D., and Radvanyi, F. (1987).Toxicon 25, 1181–1188.
- Chang, L. S., and Yang, C. C. (1993).J. Protein Chem. 12, 469–475.
- Chang, L. S., Lin, S. R., Chang, C. C., and Yang, C. C. (1994).J. Protein Chem. 13, 233–236.
- Chang, L. S., Wu, P. F., and Chang, C. C. (1996).Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 221, 328–333.
- Chen, C. J., Wu, S. H., and Wang, K. T. (1981).Proc. Natl. Sci. Council ROC 5B, 273–277.
- Chu, C. C., Chu, S. T., Chen, S. W., and Chen, Y. H. (1994).Biochem. J. 303, 171–176.
- Danse, J. M. (1990).Nucleic Acids Res. 18, 4608.
- Danse, J. M., Toussaint, J. L., and Kempf, J. (1990a).Nucleic Acids Res. 18, 4609.
- Danse, J. M., Garnier, J. M., and Kempf, J. (1990b).Nucleic Acids Res. 18, 4610.
- Dufton, M. J. (1983).Eur. J. Biochem. 153, 647–654.
- Halpert, J., and Eaker, D. (1975).J. Biol. Chem. 250, 6990–6997.
- Kondo, K., Narita, K., and Lee, C. Y. (1978a).J. Biochem. 83, 91–99.
- Kondo, K., Narita, K., and Lee, C. Y. (1978b).J. Biochem. 83, 101–15.
- Kondo, K., Toda, H., Narita, K., and Lee, C. Y. (1982a).J. Biochem. 91, 1519–1530.
- Kondo, K., Toda, H., Narita, K., and Lee, C. Y. (1982b).J. Biochem. 91, 1531–1548.
- Krizaj, I., Turk, D., Ritonja, A., and Gubensek, F. (1989).Biochim. Biophys. Acta 999, 198–205.
- Noel, J. P., Bingman, C. A., Deng, T., Dupureur, C. M., Hamilton, K. J. M., Jiang, R. T., Kwak, J. G., Sekharudu, C., Sundaralingam, M., and Tsai, M. D. (1991).Biochemistry 30, 11801–11811.
- Schmidt, R. R., Betz, H., and Rehm, H. (1988).Biochemistry 27, 963–967.
- Thannhauser, T. W., and Scheraga, H. A. (1985).Biochemistry 24, 7681–7688.
- Waite, M. (1987).Phospholipase, Plenum Press, New York, pp. 155–205.
- Zhu, H., Dupureur, C. M., Zhang, X., and Tsai, M. D. (1995).Biochemistry 34, 15307–15314.
- cDNA sequence analysis and mutagenesis studies on the a chain of Β-bungarotoxin from Taiwan banded krait
Journal of Protein Chemistry
Volume 15, Issue 8 , pp 755-761
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- A chain ofΒ-bungarotoxin
- cDNA sequence analysis
- mutagenesis of cysteine residues
- refolding of the recombinant A chain
- Industry Sectors