Human neurotrophin-3: A one-step peptide mapping method and complete disulfide characterization of the recombinant protein
- John O. HuiAffiliated withProtein Structure, Amgen Inc.
- , John LeAffiliated withProtein Structure, Amgen Inc.
- , Viswanatham KattaAffiliated withProtein Structure, Amgen Inc.
- , Robert RosenfeldAffiliated withProtein Chemistry, Amgen Inc.
- , Michael F. RohdeAffiliated withProtein Structure, Amgen Inc.
- , Mitsuru HaniuAffiliated withProtein Structure, Amgen Inc.
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Human neurotrophin-3 (NT-3) is a member of the nerve growth factor (NGF) family of neurotrophic factors, and the recombinant protein is being developed as a therapeutic for neurodegenerative diseases. The final product purity and lot-to-lot variation are monitored routinely by peptide mapping. However, only the N-terminal region of NT-3 was susceptible to proteolysis under native conditions. Complete digestion required that the protein be chemically modified by reduction and S-alkylation prior to proteolysis. Complete proteolytic degradation of the protein was achieved simply by an intial denaturation of NT-3 in 6 M guanidinium chloride (pH 6) for 2 hr at 37°C, followed by a tenfold dilution with the digestion buffer (0.1 M Tris-HCl, 1 mM CaCl2 at pH 7.0) and immediate addition of chymotrypsin at 1% by weight. Direct comparison of the peptide map with an identical aliquot that had been reduced and alkylated also allowed the establishment of the cystine linkages present in NT-3: Cys14 to Cys79, Cys57 to Cys108, and Cys67 to Cys110. This disulfide structure is homologous to the NGF family of neurotrophic factors.
Key wordsNeurotrophins peptide mapping disulfide characterization
- Human neurotrophin-3: A one-step peptide mapping method and complete disulfide characterization of the recombinant protein
Journal of Protein Chemistry
Volume 15, Issue 4 , pp 351-358
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- peptide mapping
- disulfide characterization
- Industry Sectors