Probing a functional role of Glu87 and Trp89 in the lid ofHumicola lanuginosa lipase through transesterification reactions in organic solvent
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To reveal the functional role of Glu87 and Trp89 in the lid ofHumicola lanuginosa lipase, site-directed mutagenesis at Glu87 and Trp89 was carried out. The catalytic performance of wild-type and mutated lipases was studied in transesterification reactions in cyclohexane at a controlled water activity. Two different acyl donors were used in the investigation: tributyrin, a natural substrate for a lipase, and vinyl butyrate, an activated ester suitable for fast and efficient lipase-catalyzed transformations in preparative organic synthesis. As acyl acceptor 1-heptanol was used. The Glu87Ala mutation decreased theV max,app value with tributyrin and vinyl butyrate by a factor of 1.5 and 2, respectively. TheK m,app for tributyrin was not affected by the Glu87Ala mutation, but theK m,app for vinyl butyrate increased twofold compared to the wild-type lipase. Changing Trp89 into a Phe residue afforded an enzyme with a 2.7- and 2-fold decreasedV max,app with the substrates tributyrin and vinyl butyrate, respectively, compared to the wild-type lipase. No significant effects on theK m,app values for tributyrin or vinyl butyrate were seen as a result of the Trp89Phe mutation. However, the introduction of a Glu residue at position 89 in the lid increased theK m,app for tributyrin and vinyl butyrate by a factor of >5 and 2, respectively. The Trp89Glu mutated lipase could not be saturated with tributyrin within the experimental conditions (0–680 mM) studied here. With vinyl butyrate as a substrate theV max,app was only 6% of that obtained with wild-type enzyme.
- Beer, H. D., Wohlfahrt, G., McCarthy, J. E. G., Menge, U., Schomburg, D., and Schmid, R. D. (1993). Poster presentation at Lipases: Structure, function, and protein engineering, Elsinore, Denmark.
- Boel, E., and Huge-Jensen, B. (1988).Eur. Pat. Appl. 305, 216.
- Brzozowski, A. M., Derewenda, U., Derewenda, Z. S., Dodson, G., Lawson, D. M., Turkenburg, J. P., Björkling, F., Huge-Jensen, B., Patkar, S. A., and Thim, L. (1991).Nature 351, 491–494.
- Derewenda, U., Brzozowski, A. M., Lawson, D. M., and Derewenda, Z. S. (1992).Biochemistry 31, 1532–1541.
- Derewenda, U., Swenson, L., Green, R., Wei, Y., Yamaguchi, S., Joerger, R., Haas, M. J., and Derewenda, Z. S. (1994).Protein Eng. 7, 551–557.
- Derewenda, Z. S. (1994).Adv. Protein Chem. 45, 1–52.
- Euranto, E. K. (1969). InThe chemistry of Carboxylic Acids and Esters (Patai, S., ed.), Wiley, New York, pp. 505–589.
- Fersht, A. (1985). InEnzyme Structure and Mechanism, 2nd ed., Freeman, New York.
- Holmquist, M., Martinelle, M., Berglund, P., Clausen, I. G., Patkar, S., Svendsen, A., and Hult, K. (1993).J. Protein Chem. 12, 749–757.
- Holmquist, M., Martinelle, M., Clausen, I. G., Patkar, S., Svendsen, A., and Hult, K. (1994).Lipids 29, 599–603.
- Joerger, R. D., and Haas, M. J. (1994).Lipids 29, 377–384.
- Kazlauskas, R. J. (1994).Tibtech. 12, 464–472.
- Lawson, D. M., Brzozowski, A. M., Rety, S., Verma, C., and Dodson, G. G. (1994).Protein Eng. 7, 543–550.
- Nelson, R. M., and Long, G. C. (1989).Anal. Biochem. 180, 147–151.
- Norin, M., Haeffner, F., Achour, A., Norin, T., and Hult, K. (1994).Protein Sci. 3, 1493–1503.
- Ollis, D. I., Cheah, E., Cygler, M., Dijkstra, B., Frolow, F., Franken, S. M., Harel, M., Remington, S. J., Silman, I., Schrag, J., Sussman, J., Verschueren, K. H. G., and Goldman, A. (1992).Proteins 5, 197–211.
- Rubin, B. (1994).Nature Struct. Biol. 1, 568–572.
- Yamaguchi, S., Mase, T., and Tekeuchi, K. (1992).Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem,56, 315–319.
- Probing a functional role of Glu87 and Trp89 in the lid ofHumicola lanuginosa lipase through transesterification reactions in organic solvent
Journal of Protein Chemistry
Volume 14, Issue 4 , pp 217-224
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- site-directed mutagenesis
- butanoic acid esters
- Industry Sectors