Preparation, support, and satisfaction of adoptive families in agency and independent adoptions
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Information gathered from over 1000 adoptions in the fourth year of a prospective study of adoptions finds satisfaction levels to be quite high, with those families adopting through private agencies to feel best prepared and satisfied. Differences by adoption auspice are detailed and discussed.
- Abramovitz, M. (1986). The privatization of the welfare state: A review.Social Work, 31, 257–264.
- Ademec, C., & Pierce, W. (1991).The encyclopedia of adoption. New York: Facts on File.
- Barth, R.P., & Berry, M. (1988).Adoption and disruption: Rates, risks, and responses. Hawthorne, New York: Aldine de Gruyter.
- Berry, M. (1993). The risks and benefits of open adoption.The Future of Children, 3, 129–138.
- Boyne J., Denby, L., Kettenring, J.R., & Wheeler, W. (1984).The shadow of success: A statistical analysis of outcomes of adoptions of hard-to-place children. Westfield, New Jersey: Spaulding for Children.
- Churchman, D. (1986). The debate over open adoption.Public Welfare, 44, 11–14.
- Emery, J. (1993). The case for agency adoption.The Future of Children, 3, 139–145.
- Fishman, K.D. (1992). Problem adoptions.The Atlantic Monthly, 270(3), 37–69.
- Groth, M., Bonnardel, D., Devis, D.A., Martin, J.C., & Vousden, H.E. (1987). An agency moves toward open adoption of infants.Child Welfare, 66, 247–257.
- Hoopes, J.L., & Stein, L.M. (1985).Identity formation in the adopted adolescent. New York: Child Welfare League of America.
- Kettner, P.M., & Martin, L.L. (1988). Purchase of service contracting with for-profit organizations.Administration in Social Work, 12(4), 47–60.
- Kramer, R.M. (1981).Voluntary agencies in the welfare state. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- McDermott, M. (1993). The case for independent adoption.The Future of Children, 3, 146–152.
- McRoy, R.G., Grotevant, H.D., & White, K.L. (1988).Openness in adoption: New practives, new issues. New York; Praeger.
- Meezan, W., Katz, S., & Russo, E. (1978).Adoptions without agencies. New York: Child Welfare League of America.
- Pecora, P.J., Kinney, J.M., Mitchell, L., & Tolley, G. (1990). Selecting an agency auspice for family preservation services.Social Service Review, 64, 288–307.
- Rosenthal, J.A., & Groze, V. (1990). Special needs adoption: A study of intact families.Child Welfare, 64, 475–505.
- Preparation, support, and satisfaction of adoptive families in agency and independent adoptions
Child and Adolescent Social Work Journal
Volume 13, Issue 2 , pp 157-183
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links