Fractional cascading: II. Applications
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper presents several applications offractional cascading, a new searching technique which has been described in a companion paper. The applications center around a variety of geometric query problems. Examples include intersecting a polygonal path with a line, slanted range search, orthogonal range search, computing locus functions, and others. Some results on the optimality of fractional cascading, and certain extensions of the technique for retrieving additional information are also included.
- J. L. Bentley.Multidimensional divide and conquer. Commun. ACM,23, 4 (1880), 214–229. CrossRef
- J. L. Bentley and J. B. Saxe.Decomposable searching problems I: static to dynamic transformations. J. Algorithms,1 (1980), 301–358. CrossRef
- J. L. Bentley and M. I. Shamos.A problem in multivariate statistics: Algorithms, datastructures and applications. Proc. 15th Allerton Conf. Comm., Contr., and Comput. (1977), 193–201.
- J. L. Bentley and D. Wood.An Optimal worst-case algorithm for reporting intersections of rectangles. IEEE Trans. Comput.,C-29 (1980), 571–577. CrossRef
- B. Chazelle.Filtering search: A new approach to query-answering. Proc. 24th Ann. Symp. Found. Comput. Sci. (1983), 122–132. To appear in SIAM J. Comput. (1986).
- B. Chazelle.How to search in history. Inform, and Control (1985).
- B. Chazelle.A functional approach to data structures and its use in multidimensional searching. Brown Univ. Tech. Rept, CS-85-16, Sept. 1985 (preliminary version in 26th FOCS, 1985).
- B. Chazelle, R. Cole, F. P. Preparata, and C. K. Yap.New upper bounds for neighbor searching. Tech. Rept. CS-84-11 (1984), Brown University, Providence, RI.
- B. Chazelle and H. Edelsbrunner.Linear space data structures for a class of range search. To appear in Proc. 2nd ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry, 1986.
- B. Chazelle and L. J. Guibas.Visibility and intersection problems in plane geometry. Proc. 1st ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry, Baltimore, MD, June 1985, pp. 135–146.
- B. Chazelle, L. J. Guibas, and D. T. Lee.The power of geometric duality. BIT,25, 1, (1985). Also, in Proc. 24th Ann. Symp. Found. Comp. Sci. (1983), 217–225. CrossRef
- R. Cole.Searching and storing similar lists. Tech. Report No. 88, Courant Inst., New York University, New York, Oct. 1983. To appear in J. Algorithms.
- R. Cole and C. K. Yap.Geometric retrieval problems, Proc. 24th Ann. Symp. Found. Comput. Sci. (1983), 112–121.
- D. P. Dobkin and H. Edelsbrunner.Space searching for intersection objects. Proc. 25th Ann. Symp. Found. Comput. Sci. (1984).
- D. P. Dobkin and J. I. Munro.Efficient uses of the past. Proc. 21st Ann. Symp. Found. Comput. Sci. (1980), 200–206.
- H. Edelsbrunner.Intersection problems in computational geometry. Ph.D. Thesis, Tech. Report, Rep. 93, IIG, Univ. Graz, Austria, 1982.
- H. Edelsbrunner, L. J. Guibas, and J. Stolfi.Optimal point location in a monotone subdivision. To appear.
- H. Edelsbrunner and F. Huber.Dissecting sets of points in two and three dimensions. Forthcoming technical report, IIG, University of Graz, Austria, 1984.
- H. Edelsbrunner, D. G. Kirkpatrick, and H. A. Maurer.Polygonal intersection search. In-form. Process. Lett.14 (1982), 74–79. CrossRef
- H. Edelsbrunner and E. Welzl.Halfplanar range search in linear space and O(n0.695)query time. Tech. Report, F-111, IIG, University of Graz, Austria 1983.
- H. N. Gabow, J. L. Bentley, and R. E. Tarjan.Scaling and related techniques for geometry problems. Proc. 16th Ann. SIGACT Symp. (1984), 135–143.
- D. E. Knuth.The art of computer programming, sorting and searching, Vol. 3. Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1973.
- D. T. Lee and F. P. Preparata.Location of a point in a planar subdivision and its applications. SIAM J. Comput,6, 3 (1977), 594–606. CrossRef
- E. M. McCreight.Efficient algorithms for enumerating intersecting intervals and rectangles. Tech. Rep., Xerox PARC, CSL-80-9 (June 1980).
- E. M. McCreight.Priority search trees. Tech. Rep., Xerox PARC, CSL-81-5 (1981).
- M. H. Overmars.The design of dynamic data structures. PhD Thesis, University of Utrecht, The Netherlands, 1983.
- R. E. Tarjan.A class of algorithms which require nonlinear time to maintain disjoint sets. J. Comput. System Sci.,18 (1979), 110–127. CrossRef
- D. E. Willard.New data structures for orthogonal queries. To appear in SIAM J. Comput.
- F. F. Yao.A 3-space partition and its applications. Proc. 15th Annual SIGACT Symp. (1983), 258–263.
- Fractional cascading: II. Applications
Volume 1, Issue 1-4 , pp 163-191
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Fractional cascading
- Iterative search
- Multiple look-up
- Binary search
- Iterative search
- Multiple look-up
- Range query
- Dynamization of data structures
- Industry Sectors