An improved parallel algorithm for integer GCD
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We present a simple parallel algorithm for computing the greatest common divisor (gcd) of twon-bit integers in the Common version of the CRCW model of computation. The run-time of the algorithm in terms of bit operations isO(n/logn), usingn 1+ɛ processors, where ɛ is any positive constant. This improves on the algorithm of Kannan, Miller, and Rudolph, the only sublinear algorithm known previously, both in run time and in number of processors; they requireO(n log logn/logn),n 2 log2 n, respectively, in the same CRCW model.
We give an alternative implementation of our algorithm in the CREW model. Its run-time isO(n log logn/logn), usingn 1+ɛ processors. Both implementations can be modified to yield the extended gcd, within the same complexity bounds.
- Brent, R. P., and H. T. Kung, Systolic VLSI arrays for linear time gcd computation, inVLSI 83, IFIP, F. Anceau and E. J. Aas (eds.), pp. 145–154, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1983.
- Chandra, A. K., S. Fortune, and R. Lipton, Unbounded fan-in circuits and associative functions,Proceedings of the Fifteenth Annual Symposium on Theory of Computing, ACM, pp. 52–60, 1983.
- Cole, S. N., Real-time computation byn-dimensional iterative arrays of finite-state machines,IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol. 18 (1969), pp. 349–365. CrossRef
- Goldschlager, L., A unified approach to models of synchronous parallel machines,Journal of the Association for Computing Machinery, Vol. 29, No. 4 (1982), pp. 1073–1086.
- Kannan, R., G. Miller, and L. Rudolph, Sublinear parallel algorithm for computing the greatest common divisor of two integers,SIAM Journal on Computing, Vol. 16, No. 1 (1987), pp. 7–16. CrossRef
- Knuth, D.,The Art of Computer Programming, Vol. 2, second edition, Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1981.
- Kucera, L., Parallel computation and conflicts in memory access,Information Processing Letters, Vol. 14, No. 2 (1982), pp. 93–96. CrossRef
- Ofman, Y., On the algorithmic complexity of discrete functions,Soviet Physics. Doklady, Vol. 7, No. 7 (1963), pp. 589–591.
- Smith III, A. R., Cellular automata complexity trade-offs,Information and Control, Vol. 18 (1971), pp. 466–482. CrossRef
- Vishkin, U., Implementation of simultaneous memory access in models that forbid it, Technical Report No. 210, Department of Computer Science, Technion, Haifa, 1981.
- Wallace, C. S., A suggestion for a fast multiplier,IEEE Transactions on Electronic Computers, (1964), pp. 14–17.
- An improved parallel algorithm for integer GCD
Volume 5, Issue 1-4 , pp 1-10
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Greatest common divisor
- Parallel algorithms
- Industry Sectors