Spectral analysis of heart rate in vasovagal syncope: The autonomic nervous system in vasovagal syncope
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Spectral analysis of heart rate fluctuations was used to investigate the role of the autonomic nervous system in the pathogenesis of vasovagal syncope. Nine adolescents with a history of at least three episodes of vasovagal syncope and nine age-matched healthy controls were studied. All subjects were tested in supine position and at a 60° inclination for 60 min or less if syncope developed. Blood pressure and heart rate were measured, while the ECG and respiration traces were recorded on magnetic tape for later spectral analysis.
Baseline heart rate was lower in control subjects than in patients, increased with tilt in both groups, and remained lower in the control subjects throughout the experiment. Baseline systolic and diastolic blood pressure was similar in both groups. Diastolic blood pressure initially increased with tilt in all subjects and decreased significantly thereafter in patients. Pulse pressure was lower in patients throughout the experiment.
The heart rate power spectra displayed a higher baseline level of low frequency fluctuations in the control group. The high frequency fluctuations component was similar in all subjects. The results of the test, regarding haemodynamic parameters and autonomic control of the heart rate, as expressed by low and high frequency fluctuations, are consistent with a reduced sympathetic reserve in the individuals with previous episodes of syncope.
- Manolis AS, Linzer M, Salem D, Estes NAM. Syncope: current diagnostic evaluation and management.Ann Intern Med 1990;112: 850–863.
- Kapoor WN, Karpf M, Wiland S, Peterson JR, Levey GS. A prospective evaluation and follow-up of patients with syncope.N Engl J Med 1983;309: 197–204.
- Mark AL. The Bezold-Jarisch reflex revisited: clinical implications of the inhibitory reflexes originating in the heart.JACC 1983;1: 90–102.
- Van Leishout JJ, Wieling W, Karemaker JM, Eckerberg DL. The vasovagal response.Clin Science 1991;81: 575–586.
- Almquist A, Gornick C, Benson WD, Dunningan A, Benditt DG. Carotid sinus hypersensitivity: evaluation of the vasodepressor component.Circulation 1985;71: 927–936.
- Perry JC, Garson AG. Diagnosis and treatment of arrhythmias.Adv Pediatr 1989;36: 177–200.
- Almquist A, Goldenberg IF, Milstein M, Chen, MY, Chen X, Hansen R, Gornick CC, Benditt DG. Provocation of bradycardia and hypotension by isoproterenol and upright posture in patients with unexplained syncope.N Engl J Med 1989;320: 346–351.
- Berger RD, Akselrod S, Gordon D, Cohen R. An efficient algorithm for spectral analysis of heart rate variability.IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 1986;33: 900–904.
- Akselrod S, Gordon D, Ubel AF, Shannon DC, Barger CA, Cohen RJ. Power spectrum analysis of heart rate fluctuation: a quantitative probe of beat to beat cardiovascular control.Science 1981;213: 220–222.
- Akselrod S, Gordon D, Madwed JB, Snidman NC, Shannon DC, Cohen RJ. Hemodynamic regulation: investigation by spectral analysis.Am J Physiol 1985; H867–H875.
- Pagani M, Lombardi F, Guzzetti S, Rimoldi O, Furlan R, Pizzinelli P, Sandrone G, Malfato G, Dell'Orto S, Piccaluga E, Turiel M, Baselli G, Cerutti S, Malliani A. Power spectral analysis of heart rate and arterial pressure variabilities as a marker of sympathovagal interaction in man and conscious dog.Circulation Res 1986;59: 178–193.
- Hayano J, Sakakibara Y, Yamada A, Yamada M, Mukai S, Fujinati T, Yokoyama K, Watanabe Y, Takata K. Accuracy of assessment of vagal tone by heart rate variability in normal subjects.Am J Cardiol 1991;64: 199–204.
- Lipsitz LA, Mietus J, Moody GB, Goldenberg AL. Spectral characteristics of heart rate variability before and during postural tilt. Relations to aging and syncope.Circulation 1990;81: 1803–1810.
- Pomeranz B, Macaulay RJB, Caudill MA, Kutz I, Adam D, Gordon D, Kilborn KM, Barger AC, Shannon DC, Cohen RJ, Benson H. Assessment of autonomic function in humans by heart rate spectral analysis.Am J Physiol 1985;248: H151-H153.
- Pongiglione G, Fish FA, Strasburger JF, Benson WD. Heart rate and blood pressure response to upright tilt in young patients with unexplained syncope.J Am Coll Cardiol 1990;16: 165–170.
- Raviele A, Gasparini G, Di Pede F, Delise P, Bonso A, Piccolo E. Usefulness of head-up tilt in evaluating patients with syncope of unknown origin and negative electrophysiologic study.Am J Cardiol 1990;65: 1322–1327.
- Strasberg B, Rechavia E, Sagie A, Kusniec J, Mager A, Sclarovsky S, Agmon J. The head-up tilt table test in patients with syncope of unknown origin.Am Heart J 1989;118: 923–927.
- Fitzpatrick A, Sutton R. Tilting towards a diagnosis in recurrent unexplained syncope.Lancet 1989;i: 658–660.
- Lehrman-Sagie T, Rechavia E, Strasberg B, Sagie A, Blieden L, Mimouni M. Head-up tilt for the evaluation of syncope of unknown origin in children.J Pediatr 1991;118: 676–679.
- Hannon DW. Head-up tilt testing in children. Editorial.J Pediatr 1991;118: 731–732.
- Sheldon R, Killam S. Methodology of isoproterenerol-tilt table in patients with syncope.JACC 1992;19: 773–779.
- Wahbha MMAE, Morley CA, AI-Shamma YHM, Hainsworth R. Cardiovascular reflex responses with unexplained syncope.Clin Science 1989;77: 547–553.
- Epstein SE, Stampfer M, Beiser GD. Role of the capacitance and resistance vessels in vasovagal syncope.Circulation 1968;38: 524–533.
- Wallin GB, Sundhof G. Sympathetic outflow to muscles during vasovagal syncope.J Auton Nerv Syst 1982;6: 287–291.
- Feurstein G, Siren AL. The opioid system in cardiac and vascular regulation of normal and hypertensive states.Circulation 1987;75: 125–129.
- Perna GP, Ficola U, Salvatori MP, Stanislao M, Vigna C,et al. Increase in beta endorphins in vasodepressor syncope.Am J Cardiol 1990;65: 929–930.
- Glick G, Yu PN. Hemodynamic changes during spontaneous vasovagal reactions.Am J Med 1963;34: 42–51.
- Chosy JJ, Graham DT. Catecholamines in vasovagal fainting.J Psychosom Res 1965;9: 189–194.
- Goldstein DS, Spanarkel M, Pitterman A,et al. Circulatory control mechanisms in vasodepressor syncope.Am Heart J 1982;104: 1071–1075.
- Vingerhoets AJJM. Biochemical changes in two subjects succumbing to syncope.Psychosom Med 1984;46: 95–103.
- Murray RH, Shropshire S. Effect of atropine on circulatory responses to lower negative pressure and vasodepressor syncope.Aerosp Med 1970;41: 717–722.
- Sra JS, Jazayeri MR, Avitali B,et al. Comparison of cardiac pacing with drug therapy in the treatment of neurocardiogenic (vasovagal) syncope with bradycardia or asystole.N Engl J Med 1993;328: 1085–1090.
- Fitzpatrick AP, Banner N, Cheng A, Yacoub M, Sutton R. Vasovagal reactions may occur after orthotopic heart transplantation.JACC 1993;21: 1132–1137.
- Abi-Samra FM, Fouad FM, Bravo EL, Maloney JD, Castle LW. Vasovagal syncope: vagal overtone or lack of sympathetic stimulation?Circulation 1986;74 (suppl II): 727.
- Thames MD. Effect of d and I-propranolol on the discharge of cardiac vagal C fibers.Am J Physiol 1980;238: H465-H470.
- Spectral analysis of heart rate in vasovagal syncope: The autonomic nervous system in vasovagal syncope
Clinical Autonomic Research
Volume 3, Issue 4 , pp 261-269
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Autonomic nervous system
- Heart rate fluctuations
- Spectral analysis
- Vasovagal syncope
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pediatrics, Beilinson Medical Center, Petach Tiqua, Israel
- 2. Department of Medical Physics, School of Physics and Astronomy, Sackler Faculty of Exact Sciences, Tel-Aviv University, Ramat-Aviv, Israel