The british experience of the militant opposition to the agricultural use of animals
- Keith Tester
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This article discusses the militant political opposition to the agricultural use of animals. It relates specifically to developments in the United Kingdom. It surveys two of the main ideas that advocate a transformation of the treatment of animals and shows how they have (without their authors' intention) led to acts like arson, burglary, and the destruction of property. The analysis uses some evidence from literature produced by the militant groups that has never before been presented to an academic audience.
- ALF on trial. Capitalism under attack in the 1980s. 1987. No publishing details available.
- Harris, J. 1987.Animal liberation. The road to victory. London: Red Rat Library.
- Henshaw, D. 1989.Animal warfare. The story of the Animal Liberation Front. London: Fontana.
- North, R. 1985. Night raid on animal farm.The Sunday Express Magazine 8 September, 22–24.
- Regan, T. 1983. Animal rights and human wrongs. InEthics and animals, ed. H.B. Miller and W. Williams. New Jersey: Humana Press.
- Regan, T. 1984.The case of animal rights. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.
- Regan, T. 1985. The case for animal rights. InIn defence of animals, ed. P. Singer. Oxford: Basil Blackwell.
- Roberts J.J. 1986.Against all odds. Animal liberation 1972–1986. London: Arc Print.
- RSPCA. 1985.The slaughter of food animals. Horsham: RSPCA.
- Salt, H.S. 1980.Animals' rights considered in relation to social progress. London: Centaur. Originally published 1892.
- Schleifer, H. 1985. Images of death and life: Food animal production and the vegetarian option. In Singer, ed.,In defence of animals.
- Singer, P. N.d.The animal liberation movement. Its philosophy, its achievements, and its future. Nottingham: Old Hammond Press.
- Singer, P. 1976.Animal liberation. Towards an end to man's inhumanity to animals. London: Jonathan Cape.
- Singer, P. 1980. Utilitarianism and vegetarianism.Philosophy and Public Affairs 9(4):325–37.
- Thomas, R. 1983.The politics of hunting. Aldershot: Gower.
- Windeatt, P. 1985. “They Clearly Now See The Link”: Militant Voices. In Singer, ed.,In defence of animals.
- The british experience of the militant opposition to the agricultural use of animals
Journal of agricultural ethics
Volume 2, Issue 3 , pp 241-251
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Direct action
- Keith Tester (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Social Policy and Sociology, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT, Leeds, United Kingdom