Second-order scalar-tensor field equations in a four-dimensional space
- Gregory Walter Horndeski
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Lagrange scalar densities which are concomitants of a pseudo-Riemannian metric-tensor, a scalar field and their derivatives of arbitrary order are considered. The most general second-order Euler-Lagrange tensors derivable from such a Lagrangian in a four-dimensional space are constructed, and it is shown that these Euler-Lagrange tensors may be obtained from a Lagrangian which is at most of second order in the derivatives of the field functions.
- Bergmann, P. G. (1968).International Journal of Theoretical Physics, Vol. 1, No. 1, p. 25.
- Brans, C. and Dicke, R. H. (1961).Physical Review,124, 925.
- du Plessis, J. C. (1969).Tensor,20, 347.
- Horndeski, G. W. (1971). ‘Mathematical Aspects of Scalar-Tensor Field Theories’, Section 2, M. Math. thesis (unpublished), University of Waterloo.
- Horndeski, G. W. and Lovelock, D. (1972).Tensor,24, 79.
- Horndeski, G. W. (1973). ‘Invariant Variational Principles and Field Theories’, Part II, Ph.D. thesis (unpublished), University of Waterloo.
- Lovelock, D. (1967).Atti della Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei (VIII),42, 187.
- Lovelock, D. (1969).Archives of Rational Mechanics and Analysis,33, 54.
- Lovelock, D. (1970a).Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society,68, 345.
- Lovelock, D. (1970b).Aequationes Mathematicae,4, 127.
- Lovelock, D. (1971).Journal of Mathematical Physics,12, 498.
- Lovelock, D. (1972).Journal of the Australian Mathematical Society,XIV (4), 482.
- Rund, H. (1964).2nd Colloquium on the Calculus of Variations, University of South Africa, 129.
- Rund, H. (1966).Abhandlungen aus dem Mathematischen Seminar der Universität Hamburg,29, 243.
- Second-order scalar-tensor field equations in a four-dimensional space
International Journal of Theoretical Physics
Volume 10, Issue 6 , pp 363-384
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Applied Mathematics, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada