Endpaper: Technical issues of separation in function cells and value cells
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The bulk of arguments that focus on clean semantics and notational simplicity tend to favor uniting the function and value namespaces. In spite of this, there are those who hold strongly to a belief that a two-namespace system affords useful expressive power that they are unwilling to do without. In the end, practical considerations favor the status quo for Common Lisp. There are a large number of improvements beyond a single namespace that could be made to Common Lisp that would clean it up and simplify it. We feel that the time for such radical changes to Common Lisp has passed, and it is the job of future Lisp designers to take the lessons from Common Lisp and Scheme to produce an improved Lisp.
- Abelson, H., and Sussman, G.J., with J. Sussman.Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs. The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1985.
- Brooks, R.A., Gabriel, R.P., and Steele, G.L., Jr. S-1 Common Lisp Implementation, Proceedings of the 1982 ACM Symposium on Lisp and Functional Programming, Pittsburgh, PA, August 1982.
- Digital Equipment Corporation.VAX LISP/VMS User's Guide. Maynard, MA, 1986.
- Gabriel, R.P.Performance and Evaluation of Lisp Systems. The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1985.
- Halstead, R. MultiLisp, Proceedings of the 1984 ACM Symposium on Lisp and Functional Programming, August 1984.
- Kohlbecker, E.E., Jr.Syntactic Extensions in the Programming Language Lisp. Ph.D. thesis, Indiana University, Bloomington, August 1986.
- Lucid, Inc.Lucid Common Lisp Reference Manual for the VAX. Menlo Park, CA, 1986.
- McCarthy, J., et al.Lisp 1.5 Programmer's Manual. The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1965.
- Padget, J., et al. Desiderata for the standardisation of LISP, Proceedings of the 1986 ACM Conference on Lisp and Functional Programming, Cambridge, MA, August 1986.
- Pitman, K.M.The Revised Maclisp Manual (Saturday Evening Edition). LCS Technical Report 295, MIT, Cambridge, MA, May 1983.
- Rees, J., and Clinger, W. (Eds.).Revised 3 Report on the Algorithmic Language Scheme. SIGPLAN Notices 21(12), September 1986.
- Steele, G.L., Jr.,Common Lisp, The Language. Digital Press, Billerica, MA, 1984.
- Steele, G.L., Jr., and Hillis, W.D. Connection Machine™ Lisp: Fine-Grained Parallel Symbolic Processing, Proceedings of the 1986 ACM Conference on Lisp and Functional Programming, Cambridge, MA, August 1986.
- Sussman, G.J., and Steele, G.L., Jr.,SCHEME: An Interpreter for Extended Lambda Calculus. AI Memo 349, MIT, Cambridge, MA, December 1975.
- Symbolics, Inc.MACSYMA Reference Manual. Cambridge, MA, 1986a.
- Symbolics, Inc. Symbolics Common Lisp: Language concepts.Encyclopedia Symbolica Vol. 2A, pp. 296–297, Cambridge, MA, 1986b.
- Endpaper: Technical issues of separation in function cells and value cells
LISP and Symbolic Computation
Volume 1, Issue 1 , pp 81-101
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors