Fluctuation smoothing policies are stable for stochastic re-entrant lines
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper we establish that all the policies in the class of Fluctuation Smoothing Policies for Mean Cycle Time (FSMCT), proposed in (Lu et al. 1992) and (Lu and Kumar 1993), are stable, in the sense of positive Harris recurrence, for all stochastic re-entrant lines. These constitute the first analytical results on this promising class of scheduling policies which have been shown to substantially reduce the mean and variance of cycle times in stochastic re-entrant lines. Stability is established by showing that the fluid limits corresponding to the FSMCT policies empty in finite time from all suitable initial conditions. A special case of FSMCT policies is the Last Buffer First Serve policy, and its stability is also thus established.
- Chen, H. 1993. Fluid approximations and stability of multiclass queueing networks I: Work conserving disciplines. University of British Columbia, tech. rep.
- Dai, J. G. 1995. On positive Harris recurrence of multiclass queueing networks: A unified approach via fluid limit models.Annals of Applied Probability 5: 49–77.
- Dai, J. and Weiss, G. 1994. Stability and instability of fluid models for certain re-entrant lines. Preprint, February. To appear inMathematics of Operations Research.
- Dai, J. G. and Williams, R. J. 1994. Existence and uniqueness of semimartingale reflecting Brownian motions in convex polyhedrons. Submitted toTheory of Probability and its Applications.
- Kumar, S. and Kumar, P. R. 1994. Fluctuation smoothing policies are stable for stochastic re-entrant lines.Proc. 33rd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, pp. 1476–1480.
- Lu, S. H., and Kumar, P. R. 1991. Distributed scheduling based on due dates and buffer priorities.IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control AC-36: 1406–1416.
- Lu, S. H., and Kumar, P. R. 1993. Fluctuation smoothing scheduling policies for queueing systems. To appear inProc. of the Silver Jubilee Workshop on Computing and Intelligent Systems, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, December.
- Lu, S. C. H., Ramaswamy, D., and Kumar, P. R. 1992. Efficient scheduling policies to reduce mean and variance of cycle-time in semiconductor manufacturing plants. University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, technical report. To appear inIEEE Transactions on Semiconductor Manufacturing, 1994.
- Fluctuation smoothing policies are stable for stochastic re-entrant lines
Discrete Event Dynamic Systems
Volume 6, Issue 4 , pp 361-370
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, and the Coordinated Science Laboratory, University of Illinois, 1308 West Main Street, 61801, Urbana, IL
- 2. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, and the Coordinated Science Laboratory, University of Illinois, 1308 West Main Street, 61801, Urbana, IL