Observations on the ecology and social organization of the green monkey,Cercopithecus sabaeus, in Senegal
- R. I. M. Dunbar
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The green monkey,Cercopithecus sabaeus, has not been studied in its natural habitat in West Africa. This paper reports observations made during a 3-month study in Senegal. Green monkeys live in multimale groups averaging some 12 individuals. Information is given on home range size, use of habitat, daily activity patterns, diet and birth seasonality. Social organization is discussed and data are given on the relationships between age-sex classes, aggression and leadership. Inter-group relations are discussed and it is suggested that groups defend their ranges as territories. The ecology and social organization of green monkeys is compared with that of populations ofC. aethiops studied in East Africa and they are found to be similar.
- Conaway, C. H. &D. S. Sade, 1969. Annual testis cycle of the green monkey (Cercopithecus aethiops) of St. Kitts, West Indies.J. Mammal. 50: 833–835.
- Gartlan, J. S., 1966.Ecology and Behaviour of the Vervet Monkey, Lolui Island, Lake Victoria, Uganda. Ph. D. thesis, University of Bristol.
- ——, 1968. Structure and function in primate society.Folia primat. 8: 89–120.
- ——, 1968. Ecology and social variability inCercopithecus aethiops andC. mitis. In:Primates: Studies in Adaptation and Variability P. Jay (ed.), Holt, Rinehart, & Winston, New York, pp. 253–292.
- Hill, W. C. O., 1966.Primates. Vol. VI. Cercopithecoidea. University of Edinburgh Press, Edinburgh.
- Lancaster, J. B., 1972. Play-mothering: the relations between juveniles and young infants among free-ranging vervet monkeys. In:Primate Socialization F. Poirier (ed.), Random House, New York, pp. 83–104.
- Poirier, F. E., 1972. The St. Kitts green monkey (Cercopithecus aethiops sabaeus): Ecology, population dynamics and selected behavioural traits.Folia primat. 17: 20–55.
- Stark, D. &H. Frick, 1958. Beobachtungen an äthiopischen Primaten.Zool. Jb. 86: 41–70,
- Struhsaker, T. T., 1967a. Ecology of vervet monkeys (Cercopithecus aethiops) in the Masai-Amboseli Game Reserve, Kenya.Ecology 48: 891–904.
- ——, 1967b. Social structure among vervet monkeys (Cercopithecus aethiops).Behaviour 29: 83–121.
- ——, 1967c. Auditory communication among vervet monkeys (Cercopithecus aethiops). In:Social Communication Among Primates S. A. Altmann (ed.), University of Chicago Press, Chicago, pp. 281–324.
- ——, 1967d. Behaviour of vervet monkeys (Cercopithecus aethiops).Univ. Calif. Publs. Zool. 82: 1–74.
- Observations on the ecology and social organization of the green monkey,Cercopithecus sabaeus, in Senegal
Volume 15, Issue 4 , pp 341-350
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- R. I. M. Dunbar (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, University of Bristol, BS8 1HH, Bristol, England