The golden langurs (Presbytis geei Khajuria, 1956) of Assam
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The ecology and behaviour of golden langurs,Presbytis geei Khajuria, 1956, were studied in the western forests of Assam. During our survey 10 groups were observed of which one was all male group and the rest were bisexual. Group composition, sex ratio of adult males and females, ratio of adult females to juveniles and infants, percentage of females with infants, number of males in each group, daily activity pattern, intra-inter group and inter-specific relations, reaction to disturbances, and vocalisation have been studied and included in this paper. The similiarity and differences in their behaviour from those of Hanuman langurs have been discussed.
- Biswas, B., 1967. Authorship of the namePresbytis geei (Mammalia: Primates).J. Bombay nat. Hist. Soc. 63(2): 429–431.
- Gee, E. P., 1955. A new species of langur in Assam.J. Bombay nat. Hist. Soc. 53: 252–254.
- ——, 1961. The distribution and feeding habits of the golden langur,Presbytis geei Gee (Khajuria, 1956).J. Bombay nat. Hist. Soc. 58(1): 1–12.
- ——, 1964. The wild life of India. Collins, London.
- Khajuria, H., 1956. A new langur (Primates: Colobidae) from Goalpara district, Assam.Ann. Mag. nat. Hist. 12(9): 86–88.
- ——, 1962. Further observations on theGee's langur,Presbytis geei Khajuria, 1956, with remarks on the classification of Indian Colobidae (Mammalia: Primates).Rec. Indian Mus. 58(2): 123–130.
- Sugiyama, Y., 1964. Group composition, population density and some sociological observations of Hanuman langurs (Presbytis entellus).Primates 5: 7–37.
- ——, 1969. A brief account of the social life of Hanuman langurs.Proc. Nat. Inst. Sci. India, 35(4B): 304–319.
- Wayre, P., 1968(a). Some observations on the golden langurPresbytis geei (MS. Khajuria)Gee.J. Bombay nat. Hist. Soc. 65(2): 473–477.
- ——, 1968(b). The golden langur and the Manas Sanctuary.Oryx, 9: 337–339.
- The golden langurs (Presbytis geei Khajuria, 1956) of Assam
Volume 15, Issue 4 , pp 327-340
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links