Quality control of DXA instruments in multicenter trials
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) has become the measurement of choice for multicenter trials with bone density endpoints. When performing DXA measurements with several different systems, it is important to implement a quality assurance program to guarantee that any observed density changes are real and not due to machine and/or operator variability. In this study, we present a series of procedures based on phantom measurements designed to monitor DXA instrument stability. Techniques for longitudinal evaluation of machine performance and cross-calibration of instruments are described. These procedures are then demonstrated using quality assurance data collected from a number of different DXA scanners. Together these methods provide a defined approach to instrument quality control. Though based primarily on the use of spinal phantoms, these procedures can be generalized for use in any multicenter DXA study.
- Orwoll ES, Oviatt SK. Longitudinal precision of dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry in a multicenter study. J Bone Miner Res 1991;6:191–7.
- Trevisian C, Gandolini GG, Sibilla P, Penotti M, Caraceni MP, Ortolani S. Bone mass measurement by DXA: influence of analysis procedures and interunit variation. J Bone Miner Res 1992;7:1373–82.
- Glüer CC, Faulkner KG, Estilo MJ, Engleke K, Rosin J, Genant HK. Quality assurance for bone densitometry research studies: concept and impact. Osteoporosis Int 1993;3:227–35.
- Miller CG. Bone density measurements in clinical trials: the challenge of ensuring optimal data. Br J Clin Res 1993;4:113–20.
- Orwoll ES, Oviatt SK, Biddle JA. Precision of dual-energy x-ray absorpiometry: development of quality control rules and their application in longitudinal studies. J Bone Miner Res 1993;8:693–9.
- Wahner HW, Looker A, Dunn WL, Walters LC, Hauser MF, Novak C. Quality control of bone densitometry in a National Health Survey (NHANES III) using three mobile examination centers. J Bone Miner Res 1994;9:951–60.
- Kalender WA. A phantom for standardization and quality control in spinal bone mineral measurements by QCT and DXA: design considerations and specifications. Med Phys 1992;19:583–6.
- Reid DM, Lanham SA, McDonald AG, Avenell A, Fenner JAK, Boyle IT, et al. Speed and comparability of 3 dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) models. In: Christiansen C, Overgaard K, editors. Osteoporosis 1990. Proceedings of the Third International Symposium on Osteoporosis. Copenhagen: Osteoporosis, 1990:575–7.
- Pocock NA, Sambrook PN, Nguyen T, Kelly P, Freund J, Eisman JA. Assessment of spinal and femoral bone density by dual x-ray absorptiometry: comparison of Lunar and Hologic instruments. J Bone Miner Res 1992;7:1081–4.
- Lai KC, Goodsitt MM, Murano R, Chesnut CH III. A comparison of two dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry systems for spinal bone mineral measurement. Calcif Tissue Int 1992;50:203–8.
- Genant HK, Grampp S, Glueer CC, Faulkner KG, Jergas M, Engelke K, et al. Universal standardization for dual x-ray absorptiometry: patient and phantom cross-calibration results. J Bone Miner Res 1994;9:1503–14.
- Westgard JO, Barry PL, Hung MR, Groth T. A multirule Shewart chart for quality control in clinical chemistry. Clin Chem 1981;27:493–501.
- Quality control of DXA instruments in multicenter trials
Volume 5, Issue 4 , pp 218-227
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Bone densitometry
- Quality control
- Industry Sectors