Interaction patterns of two newly formed groups of stumptail macaques (Macaca arctoides)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Shortly after two groups of stumptail macaques were formed, their individual and social behavior was observed. Similar overall behavior of the two groups arose from different interaction patterns within the groups. Hierarchical stabilities and instabilities were related to selective affilliation patterns. The main instabilities were found at the top of the hierarchy of one group and in the middle of the other. The roots of later changes in group structure were displayed in individual association preferences.
- Bernstein, I. S. &W. A. Draper, 1964. The behavior of juvenile rhesus monkeys in groups.Animal Behav. 12: 84–91.
- ——, 1965. The stumptail macaque as a laboratory subject.Science 147: 824.
- Bertrand, M., 1969.The Behavioral Repertoire of the Stumptail Macaque. Bibliotheca Primatologica No. 11, 273 pp.
- Blurton Jones, N. G. &J. Trollope, 1968. Social behavior of stump-tailed macaques in captivity.Primates 9: 365–394.
- Davis, R. T., R. W. Leary, M. Dell Casebeer Smith, &R. F. Thompson, 1968. Species differences in gross behavior of nonhuman primates.Behaviour 31: 326–338.
- Hawkes, P. M., 1969. Group formation in four species of macaque.Am. J. phys. Anthrop. 31: 261 (abstract).
- Kawai, M., 1965a. On the social system of ranks in a natural troop of Japanese monkeys: (I) basic rank and dependent rank. In:Japanese Monkeys,S. A. Altmann (ed.), Published by the editor, pp. 66–86.
- --, 1965b. On the social system of ranks in Japanese monkeys: (II) ranking order as observed among the monkeys on or near the test box. In:Japanese Monkeys, S. A. Altmann (ed.), Published by the editor, pp. 87–104.
- Kling, A. &J. Orbach, 1963. The stumptailed macaque: a promising laboratory primate.Science 139: 45–46.
- Napier, J. R. &P. H. Napier, 1967.A Handbook of Living Primates. Academic Press, New York.
- Oakes, E. R., 1967. The determinants of social status in a colony of femaleMacaca speciosa. (Doctoral dissertation, University of Oklahoma) University Microfilms, Ann Arbor, Michigan, No. 67-12, 320.
- Orbach, J. &A. Kling, 1963. The stumptailed macaque: a docile asiatic monkey.Animal Behav. 11: 343–347.
- ——, 1965. Simian temperament.Science, 147: 1173.
- Simonds, P. E., 1965. The bonnet macaque of South India. In:Primate Behavior I. DeVore (ed.), Holt, Rinehart, & Winston, New York, pp. 175–196.
- Southwick, C. H., M. A. Beg, &M. R. Siddiqi, 1965. Rhesus monkeys in North India. In:Primate Behavior I. DeVore (ed.), Holt, Rinehart, & Winston, New York, pp. 111–159.
- Sparks, J., 1967. Allogrooming in primates: a review. In:Primate Ethology D. Morris (ed.), Aldine, Chicago, pp. 148–175.
- Interaction patterns of two newly formed groups of stumptail macaques (Macaca arctoides)
Volume 13, Issue 1 , pp 19-33
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links