The role of extracellular matrix in human astrocytoma migration and proliferation studied in a microliter scale assay
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Ligands in the extracellular matrix (ECM) are known to mediate migration of normal as well as tumor cells via adhesion molecules such as the integrin receptor family. We developed a microliter scale (15-20 fu total volume) monolayer migration assay to investigate the ability of astrocytoma cells to disperse on surfaces coated with purified human ECM protein ligands. In this system the rate of radial migration of the cell population was constant over time. For human astrocytoma cell lines U-251 and SF-767, laminin and collagen type IV supported a migratory phenotype; fibronectin and vitronectin only minimally supported migration. The different ECM proteins also influenced growth rate: cells on laminin and collagen had a protracted lag phase. Furthermore, migrating cells seeded on laminin or collagen showed a lower labeling index than did stationary cells in the central, crowded region on the same substrate. This micro-scale migration assay should enable detailed molecular and biochemical studies of the determinants of migration.
- Müller W, Afra D and Schröder R, 1977, Supratentorial recurrence of gliomas: morphological studies in relation to time intervals with astrocytomas.Acta Neurochirugia (Wien),37, 75–91.
- Burger PC, Heinz ER, Shibata T and Kleihues P, 1988, Topographic anatomy and CT correlations in the untreated glioblastoma multiforme.J Neurosurg,68, 698–704.
- Liotta LA and Stetler-Stevenson WG, 1991, Tumor invasion and metastasis: an imbalance of positive and negative regulation.Cancer Res,51, 5054s-59s.
- Hynes RO, 1987, Integrins: a family of cell surface receptors.Cell,48, 549–57.
- Hynes RO, 1992, Integrins: Versatility, modulation, and signaling in cell adhesion.Cell,69, 11–25.
- Wewer UM, Taraboletti G, Sobel ME, Albrechtsen R and Liotta LA, 1987, Role of laminin receptor in tumor cell migration.Cancer Res,47, 5691–8.
- McCarthy JB, Basara ML, Palm SL, Sas DF and Furcht LT, 1985, The role of cell adhesion proteins laminin and fibronectin in the movement of malignant and metastatic cells.Cancer Met Rev,4, 125–52.
- Carbonetto S, 1984, The extracellular matrix of the nervous system.Trends Neurol Sci,7, 382–7.
- Rutka JT, Apodaca G, Stern R and Rosenblum M, 1988, The extracellular matrix of the central and peripheral nervous system: structure and function.J Neurosurg,69, 155–70.
- Venstrom KA and Reichard LF, 1993, Extracellular matrix 2: Role of extracellular matrix molecules and their receptors in the nervous system.FASEB J,7, 996–1003.
- Bjerkvig R, Learum OD and Mella O, 1986, Glioma cell interaction with fetal rat brain aggregatesin vitro and with brain tissuein vivo.Cancer Res,46, 4071–9.
- Scherer HJ, 1940, The forms of growth in gliomas and their practical significance.Brain,63, 1–35.
- Schiffer D, 1986, Neuropathology and imaging. The ways in which glioma spreads and varies in its histological aspect. In: Walker MD, Thomas DGT, eds.Biology of Brain Tumour. Boston: Martinus Nijhoff, 163–72.
- Jones TR, Ruoslahti E, Schold SC and Bigner DD, 1982, Fibronectin and glial fibrillary acidic protein expression in normal human brain and anaplastic human gliomas.Cancer Res,42, 299–305.
- Alitalo K, Bornstein P, Vaheri A and Sage H, 1983, Biosynthesis of an unusual collagen type by human astrocytoma cellsin vitro.J Biol Chem,258, 2653–61.
- McKeever PE, Fligiel SE, Varani J, Castle RJ and Hood TW, 1989, Products of cells cultured from gliomas. VII. Extracellular matrix proteins of gliomas which contain glial fibrillary acidic protein.Lab Invest,60, 286–95.
- Liesi P, Dahl D and Vaheri A, 1983, Laminin is produced by early rat astrocytes in primary culture.J Cell Biol,96, 920–24.
- Liesi P, Kirkwood T and Vaheri A, 1986, Fibronectin is expressed by astrocytes cultured from embryonic and early postnatal rat brain.Exp Cell Res,163, 175–85.
- McComb RD and Bigner DD, 1985, Immunolocalisation of laminin in neoplasms of the central and peripheral nervous systems.J Neuropath Exp Neurol,44, 242–53.
- Varani J, Orr W and Ward PA, 1978, A comparison of the migration patterns of normal and malignant cells in two assay systems.Am J Pathol,90, 159–71.
- Berens ME, Weisman AS, Spencer DR,et al. 1991, Growth properties and oncogene expression in 2 newly derived glioma cell lines: assessment of growth determinants.Proc AACR,31, 273.
- Bigner DD, Bigner SH and Ponten, J 1981, Heterogeneity of genotypic and phenotypic characteristics of 15 permanent cell lines derived from human gliomas.J Neuropath Exp Neurol,40, 201–15.
- Kramer R, McDonald KA, Crowley E, Ramos D and Damsky CH, 1989, Integrin-related complexes mediate the adhesion of melanoma cells to basement membrane.Cancer Res,49, 393–402.
- Vuento M and Vaheri A, 1979, Purification of fibronectin from human plasma by affinity chromatography under non-denaturing conditions.Biochem J,183, 331–7.
- Giese A, Rief MD, Loo MA and Berens ME, 1994, Determinants of human astrocytoma migration.Cancer Res,54, 3897–904.
- Phillips DR, Charo IF and Scarborough RM, 1991, GPIIb-IIIa: the responsive integrin.Cell,65, 359–62.
- Tawil N, Wilson P and Carbonetto S, 1993, Integrins in point contacts mediate cell spreading: factors that regulate integrin accumulation in point contacts vs focal contacts.J Cell Biol,120, 261–71.
- Varani J, Carey TE, Fligiel SE, McKeever PE and Dixit V, 1987, Tumor type-specific differences in cell-substrate adhesion among human tumor cell lines.Int J Cancer,39, 397–403.
- Romualdez AG Jr and Ward PA, 1975, A unique complement derived chemotactic factor for tumor cells.Proc Nat Acad Sci,72, 4128–32.
- Repesh LA, 1989, A newin vitro assay for quantitating tumor cell invasion.Inv Met,9, 192–208.
- Hendrix MJ, Gehlsen KR, Wagner HN Jr,et al. 1985,In vitro quantification of melanoma tumor cell invasion.Clin Exp Metastasis,3, 221–33.
- Thomas LA and Yamada KM, 1992, Contact stimulation of cell migration.J Cell Science,103, 1211–14.
- Henderson E, Haydon PG and Sakaguchi DS, 1992, Actin filament dynamics in living glial cells imaged by atomic force microscopy.Science,257, 1944–6.
- Woods A, McCarthy JB, Furcht LT and Couchman JR, 1993, A synthetic peptide from the COOH-terminal heparin-binding domain of fibronectin promotes focal adhesion formation.Mol Biol Cell,4, 605–13.
- The role of extracellular matrix in human astrocytoma migration and proliferation studied in a microliter scale assay
Clinical & Experimental Metastasis
Volume 12, Issue 6 , pp 405-415
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- extracellular matrix
- Industry Sectors