Transformations of structures: An algebraic approach
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper introduces a new mathematical approach to transformations of structures, where the concept of “structure” is extremely general. Many structures and transformations that arise in biology as well as computer science are special cases of our concepts. A structure may be changed by finding an occurrence of a pattern and replacing it by another pattern as specified by a rule. To prove theorems about long sequences of applications of complicated rules, we need precise and tractable mathematical definitions of rules and how to apply them. This paper presents such definitions and three fundamental theorems, together with brief remarks on applications to control flow analysis, record handling, and evaluation of recursively defined functions. Unlike some previous efforts toward a rigorous theory of transformations of structures, this paper uses ideas and results from abstract algebra to minimize the need for elaborate constructions.
- Arbib, M. A., Manes, E. G. (1975) Arrows, Structures, and Functors. Academic Press, New York
- Berry, G., Levy, J.-J. (1979) Minimal and optimal computations of recursive programs. J. ACM 26: pp. 148-175
- Birkhoff, G., Lipson, J. D. (1970) Heterogeneous algebras. J. Combinatorial Theory 8: pp. 115-133
- V. Claus, H. Ehrig, and G. Rozenberg (Editors),Graph Grammars and their Application to Computer Science and Biology, Lecture Notes in Computer Sci., 73 (1979).
- Codd, E. F. (1970) A relational model of data for large shared data banks. Comm. ACM 13: pp. 377-387
- J. A. Darringer and W. H. Joyner,A new look at logic synthesis, IBM Research Report RC 8268, Yorktown Heights NY, May 1980.
- H. Ehrig and H.-J. Kreowski, Contributions to the algebraic theory of graph grammars,Math. Nachr., to appear.
- H. Ehrig and H.-J. Kreowski, Applications of graph grammar theory to consistency, synchronization, and scheduling in data base systems,Information Sciences, to appear.
- Ehrig, H., Kreowski, H.-J., Maggiolo-Schettini, A., Rosen, B. K., Winkowski, J. (1978) Deriving structures from structures. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 64: pp. 177-190
- H. Ehrig, M. Pfender, and H. J. Schneider, Graph grammars: an algebraic approach,Proc. 14th Ann. IEEE Symp. on Switching and Automata Theory, Iowa City, October 1973, pp. 167–180.
- H. Ehrig and B. K. Rosen,Commutativity of independent transformations on complex objects, IBM Research Report RC 6251, Yorktown Heights NY, October 1976.
- Ehrig, H., Rosen, B. K. (1980) The mathematics of record handling. SIAM J. Computing 9: pp. 441-469
- H. Ehrig and B. K. Rosen,Commutativity, parallelism, and concurrency for transformations of structures, Bericht 79–21, Fachbereich Informatik, Tech. U. Berlin, October 1979.
- Ehrig, H., Tischer, K. W. (1975) Graph grammars and applications to specialization and evolution in biology. J. Computer and System Sci. 11: pp. 212-236
- Eilenberg, S., Wright, J. (1967) Automata in general algebras. Information and Control 11: pp. 452-470
- R. Farrow, K. Kennedy, and L. Zucconi, Graph grammars and global program data flow analysis,Proc. 17th Ann. IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Sci., Houston, October 1976, pp. 42–56.
- Herrlich, H., Strecker, G. (1973) Category Theory. Allyn and Bacon, Rockleigh, New Jersey
- H.-J. Kreowski,Ein Pumpinglemma für Kanten-Kontextfreie Graph-Sprachen, Bericht 77–15, Fachbereich Informatik, Tech. U. Berlin, September 1977. (See also .)
- M. J. O'Donnell, Computing in systems described by equations,Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 58 (1977).
- Pacini, G., Montangero, C., Turini, F. (1974) Graph representation and computation rule for typeless recursive languages. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 14: pp. 157-169
- Padawitz, P.,Graph grammars and operational semantics, Bericht 78–33, Fachbereich Informatik, Tech. U. Berlin, October 1978. (See also .)
- Rajlich, V. (1975) Dynamics of discrete systems ⋯. J. Computer and System Sci. 11: pp. 186-202
- Rosen, B. K. (1975) Deriving graphs from graphs by applying a production. Acta Informatica 4: pp. 337-357
- Schneider, H. J., Ehrig, H. (1976) Grammars on partial graphs. Acta Informatica 6: pp. 297-316
- Staples, J. (1977) A class of replacement systems with simple optimality theory. Bull. Austral. Math. Soc. 17: pp. 335-350
- Staples, J. (1980) Computation on graph-like expressions. Theoretical Computer Sci. 10: pp. 171-185
- Staples, J. (1980) Optimal evaluations of graph-like expressions. Theoretical Computer Sci. 10: pp. 297-316
- Staples, J. (1980) Speeding up subtree replacement systems. Theoretical Computer Sci. 11: pp. 39-47
- Vere, S. A. (1977) Relational production systems. Artificial Intelligence 8: pp. 47-68
- Vuillemin, J. (1974) Correct and optimal implementations of recursion in a simple programming language. J. Computer and System Sci. 9: pp. 332-354
- Transformations of structures: An algebraic approach
Mathematical systems theory
Volume 14, Issue 1 , pp 305-334
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Fachbereich Informatik, Technische Universität Berlin, 1000, Berlin 10, Federal Republic of Germany
- 2. Istituto di Scienze dell'Informazione, Universita di Pisa, 56100, Pisa, Italy
- 3. Computer Sciences Department, IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center, 10598, Yorktown Heights, NY, USA
- 4. Instytut Podstaw Informatyki PAN, Box 22, 00-901, Warszawa, PKiN, Poland