Mg-ATPase activity and motility of native thick filaments isolated from the anterior byssus retractor muscle ofMytilus edulis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A method for isolating native thick filaments from the anterior byssus retractor muscle (ABRM) ofMytilus edulis is described. Sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis showed that the isolated thick filament preparation contained mainly paramyosin and myosin but almost no actin. Electron microscopy of negatively stained preparations showed that the isolated thick filaments were tapered at both ends and of various sizes, in the range 5–31 Μm in length and 51–94nm in width in the central region. Central bare zones were observed in the smaller filaments, but were not clearly seen in the larger filaments. Mg-ATPase activity of the isolated thick filaments was activated by skeletal muscle F-actin in a Ca2+-dependent manner. The maximal activity was about 20 nmol min−1 mg−1 thick filaments (20‡ C, pH7.0). Motility of the thick filaments attached to latex beads (diameter, 2 Μm) was also studied using the native actin cables of the freshwater alga,Chara. In the presence of Mg-ATP and Ca2+, the beads moved along the actin cables at a maximal velocity of about 1 Μm s−1. In the absence of Ca2+, almost no movement was observed. These results show that the isolated thick filaments are structurally intact and retain the essential mechanochemical characteristics of the ABRM myosin.
- Abbott, B. C. &Lowy, J. (1958) Contraction in molluscan smooth muscle.J. Physiol., Lond. 141, 385–97.
- Achazi, R. K. (1979) Phosphorylation of molluscan paramyosin.Pflügers Arch. 379, 197–201.
- Castellani, L. &Cohen, C. (1987a) Myosin rod phosphorylation and the catch state of molluscan muscles.Science 235, 334–7.
- Castellani, L. &Cohen, C. (1987b) Rod phosphorylation favors folding in a catch muscle myosin.Proc. natn. Acad. Sci. USA 84, 4058–62.
- Castellani, L., Vibert, P. &Cohen, C. (1983) Structure of myosin/paramyosin filaments from a molluscan smooth muscle.J. molec. Biol. 167, 853–72.
- Chantler, P. D., Sellers, J. R. &Szent-Györgyi, A. G. (1981) Cooperativity in scallop myosin.Biochemistry 20, 210–6.
- Cooley, L. B., Johnson, W. H. &Krause, S. (1979) Phosphorylation of paramyosin and its possible role in the catch mechanism.J. biol. Chem. 254, 2195–8.
- Cornelius, F. &Lowy, J. (1978) Tension-length behaviour of a molluscan smooth muscle related to filament organisation.Acta physiol. scand. 102, 167–80.
- Eisenberg, E. &Moos, C. (1970) Actin activation of heavy meromyosin adenosine triphosphatase. Dependence on adenosine triphosphate and actin concentrations.J. biol. Chem. 245, 2451–6.
- Goldstein, D. A. (1979) Calculation of the concentrations of free cations and cation-ligand complexes in solutions containing multiple divalent cations and ligands.Biophys. J. 26, 235–42.
- Hardwicke, P. M. D. &Hanson, J. (1971) Separation of thick and thin myofilaments.J. molec. Biol. 59, 509–16.
- Harada, Y., Noguchi, A., Kishino, A. &Yanagida, T. (1987) Sliding movement of single actin filaments on one-headed myosin filaments.Nature, Lond. 326, 805–8.
- Ishii, N. &Takahashi, K. (1982) Length-tension relation of single smooth muscle cells isolated from the pedal retractor muscle ofMytilus edulis.J. Musc. Res. Cell Motility 3, 25–38.
- Ishii, N. &Takahashi, K. (1983) Polarity of myofilaments in molluscan smooth muscle.Cell Tiss. Res. 234, 533–45.
- Johnson, W. H. &Thompson, V. P. (1979) Evidence for direct large filament interactions in molluscan catch muscles. InMotility in Cell Function (edited byPepe, F. A., Sanger, J. W. &Nachmias, V. T.), pp. 467–9. New York: Academic Press.
- Kendrick-Jones, J. &Scholey, J. M. (1981) Myosin-linked regulatory systems.J. Musc. Res. Cell Motility 2, 347–72.
- Kohama, K. &Shimmen, T. (1985). Inhibitory Ca2+-control of movement of beads coated withPhysarum myosin along actin-cables inChara internodal cells.Protoplasma 129, 88–91.
- Kron, S. J. &Spudich, J. A. (1986) Fluorescent actin filaments move on myosin fixed to a glass surface.Proc. natn. Acad. Sci. USA 83, 6272–6.
- Kuroda, K. (1983) Cytoplasmic streaming in characean cells cut open by microsurgery.Proc. Jpn. Acad. Ser. B 59, 126–30.
- Laemmli, U. K. (1970) Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4.Nature, Lond. 227, 680–5.
- Lanzetta, P. A., Alvarez, L. J., Reinach, P. S. &Candia, O. A. (1979) An improved assay for nanomole amounts of inorganic phosphate.Analyt. Biochem. 100, 95–7.
- Lehman, W. &Szent-Györgyi, A. G. (1975). Regulation of muscular contraction. Distribution of actin control and myosin control in the Animal Kingdom.J. gen. Physiol. 66, 1–30.
- Levine, R. J. C., Elfvin, M., Dewey, M. M. &Walcott, B. (1976) Paramyosin in invertebrate muscles. II. Content in relation to structure and function.J. Cell Biol. 71, 273–9.
- Lowry, O. H., Rosebrough, N. J., Farr, A. L. &Randall, R. J. (1951) Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent.J. biol. Chem. 193, 265–75.
- Lowy, J. &Hanson, J. (1962) Ultrastructure of invertebrate smooth muscles.Physiol. Rev. 42, 34–47.
- Moos, C. (1973) Actin activation of heavy meromyosin and subfragment-1 ATPases; steady state kinetics studies.Cold Spring Harb. Symp. quant. Biol. 37, 137–43.
- Nonomura, Y. (1974). Fine structure of the thick filament in molluscan catch muscle.J. molec. Biol. 88, 445–55.
- Pardee, J. D. &Spudich, J. A. (1982) Purification of muscle actin.Meth. Enzym. 85, 164–81.
- Rüegg, J. C. (1971) Smooth muscle tone.Physiol. Rev. 51, 201–48.
- Sellers, J. R., Spudich, J. A. &Sheetz, M. P. (1985) Light chain phosphorylation regulates the movement of smooth muscle myosin on actin filaments.J. Cell Biol. 101, 1897–902.
- Sheetz, M. P., Chasan, R. &Spudich, J. A. (1984) ATP-dependent movement of myosinin vitro: Characterization of a quantitative assay.J. Cell Biol. 99, 1867–71.
- Sheetz, M. P. &Spudich, J. A. (1983) Movement of myosin-coated fluorescent beads on actin cablesin vitro.Nature, Lond. 303, 31–5.
- Shimmen, T. &Yano, M. (1984) Active sliding movement of latex beads coated with skeletal muscle myosin onChara actin bundles.Protoplasma 121, 132–7.
- Shimmen, T. &Yano, M. (1986) Regulation of myosin sliding alongChara actin bundles by native skeletal muscle tropomyosin.Protoplasma 132, 129–36.
- Sobieszek, A. (1973) The fine structure of the contractile apparatus of the anterior byssus retractor muscle ofMytilus edulis.J. Ultrastruct. Res. 43, 313–43.
- Sohma, H., Inoue, K. &Morita, F. (1988) A cAMP-dependent regulatory protein for RLC -a myosin kinase catalyzing the phosphorylation of scallop smooth muscle myosin light chain.J. Biochem., Tokyo 103, 431–5.
- Sohma, H., Yazawa, M. &Morita, F. (1985) Phosphorylation of regulatory light chain a (RLC-a) in smooth muscle myosin of scallop,Patinopecten yessoensis.J. Biochem., Tokyo 98, 569–72.
- Szent-Györgyi, A. G., Cohen, C. &Kendrick-Jones, J. (1971) Paramyosin and the filaments of molluscan “catch” muscles. II. Native filaments: Isolation and characterization.J. molec. Biol. 56, 239–58.
- Szent-Györgyi, A. G., Szentkiralyi, E. M. &Kendrick-Jones, J. (1973) The light chains of scallop myosin as regulatory subunits.J. molec. Biol. 74, 179–203.
- Tameyasu, T. &Sugi, H. (1976) The series elastic component and the force-velocity relation in the anterior byssal retractor muscle ofMytilus edulis during active and catch contractions.J. exp. Biol. 64, 497–510.
- Twarog, B. M. (1976) Aspects of smooth muscle function in molluscan catch muscle.Physiol. Rev. 56, 829–38.
- Vale, R. D., Szent-Györgyi, A. G. &Sheetz, M. P. (1984) Movement of scallop myosin onNitella actin filaments: Regulation by calcium.Proc. natn. Acad. Sci. USA 81, 6775–8.
- Wells, C. &Bagshaw, C. R. (1985) Calcium regulation of molluscan myosin ATPase in the absence of actin.Nature, Lond. 313, 696–7.
- Yamada, A., Ishii, N., Shimmen, T. &Takahashi, K. (1987) Thick filaments isolated from a molluscan smooth muscle show ATPase and sliding activities.Cell Struct. Funct. 12, 620.
- Mg-ATPase activity and motility of native thick filaments isolated from the anterior byssus retractor muscle ofMytilus edulis
Journal of Muscle Research & Cell Motility
Volume 10, Issue 2 , pp 124-134
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links