The role of positron emission tomography within the spectrum of medical imaging
- Terry Jones
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of the survey is to help to define the role of positron emission tomography (PET) as an investigative procedure, and to identify strategies to perfect PET and in vivo tracer studies in general so that their full potential is realised. Within this context, the sensitivity and specificity of PET are reviewed. The impact of PET through studies of regional cerebral activation based on blood flow measurements is discussed. Emphasis is placed on the role of PET in clinical research and as a means of assessing new therapeutic agents. This latter ability renders PET of much interest to pharmaceutical companies.
- Artemov D, Bhujwalla ZM, Maxwell RJ, Griffiths, Judson IR, Leach MO, Glickson JD. Pharmacokinetics of the13C labelled anticancer agent temozolomide detected in vivo by selective cross-polarization transfer.Magn Reson Med 195; 34: 338–342.
- Bailey DL, Zito F, Gilardi M-C, Savi AR, Fazio F, Jones T. Performance comparison of a state-of-the-art neuro-SPECT scanner and dedicated neuro-PET scanner.Eur J Nucl Med 1994; 21: 381–387.
- Sedvall G, Farde L. Chemical brain anatomy in schizophrenia.Lancet 1995; 346: 743–749.
- Silbersweig DA, Stern E, Frith C, Cahill C, Holmes A, Grootoonk S, Seaward J, Mckenna P, Chua SE, Schnorr L, Jones T, Frackowiak RSJ. A functional neuroanatomy of hallucinations in schizophrenia.Nature 1995; 378: 176–179.
- Bartenstein PA, Duncan JS, Prevett MC, Cunningham VJ, Fish DR, Jones AKP, Luthra SK, Sawle GV, Brooks DJ. Investigation of the opioid system in absence seizures with positron emission tomography.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1993; 56: 1295–1302.
- Jones AKP, Vincent LQ, Cunningham V, Ha-Kawa SK, Fujiwara T, Luthra SK, Jones T. Changes in central opioid receptor binding in relation to inflammation and pain in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.Br J Rheumatol 1994; 33: 909–919.
- Tilsley DWO, Harte RJA, Jones T, Brady F, Luthra SK, Brown G, Price PM. New techniques in the pharmacokinetic analysis of cancer drugs. IV. Positron emission tomography.Cancer Surv 1993; 17: 425–442.
- Ritter JM, Jones T. PET: a symposium highlighting its clinical and pharmacological potential.Trends Pharmacol Sci 1995; 16: 117–119.
- Comar D. Pet for drug development and evaluation. Developments in nuclear medicine, vol 26. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers; 1995.
- Leiden JM. Gene therapy — promise, pitfalls, and prognosis.N Engl J Med 1995; 333: 871–872.
- Nickles RJ, Nunn AD, Stone CK, Christian BT. Technetium-94m teboroxime: synthesis, dosimetry and initial PET imaging studies.J Nucl Med 1993; 34: 1058.
- Rösch F, Novgorodov AF, Qaim SM. Thermochromatographic separation of94mTc from enriched molybdenum targets and its large scale production for nuclear medical application.Radiochim Acta 1993; 62: 115–121.
- Christian BT, Nickles RJ, Stone CK, Mulnix TL, Clark J. Improving the radionuclidic purity of94mTc for PET imaging.Appl Radiat Isot 1995; 46: 69–73.
- Zweit J, Luthra SK, Brady F, Carnochan P, Ott RJ, Jones T. Iodine-120, a new positron emitting radionuclide for PET radiopharmaceuticals. Proceedings of Eleventh International Symposium on Radiopharmaceutical Chemistry, Vancouver, Canada. 1995: 823–825.
- Flower MA, Al-Saadi A, Harmer CL, McCready R, Ott RJ. Dose-response study on thyrotoxic patients undergoing positron emission tomography and radioiodine therapy.Eur J Nucl Med 1994; 21: 531–536.
- Wilson CB, Snook DE, Dhokia B, Taylor CVJ, Watson IA, Lammerstsma AA, Lambrecht R, Waxman J, Jones T, Epenetos AA. Quantitative measurement of monoclonal antibody distribution and blood flow using positron emission tomography and124iodine in patients with breast cancer.Int J Cancer 1991; 47: 344–347.
- Pentlow KS, Graham MC, Lambrecht RM, Cheung N-KV, Larson SM. Quantitative imaging of I-124 using positron emission tomography with applications to radioimmunodiagnosis and radioimmunotherapy.Med Phys 1991; 18: 357–366.
- Hawkins PN, Tyrrell P, Jones T, Rossor MN, Roques P, Myers M, Lambrecht R, Richardson S, Gudmundsson G, Pepys MB. Metabolic and scintigraphic studies with radiolabelled serum amyloid P component in amyloidosis: applications to cerebral deposits and Alzheimer disease with positron emission tomography.Bull Clin Neurosci 1991; 56: 178–190.
- The role of positron emission tomography within the spectrum of medical imaging
European Journal of Nuclear Medicine
Volume 23, Issue 2 , pp 207-211
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Positron emission tomography
- Drug development
- Clinical research
- Industry Sectors
- Terry Jones (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Cyclotron Unit, Medical Research Council Clinical Sciences Centre, Royal Postgraduate Medical School, Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Road, W12 0NN, London, UK