Nimodipine: a new calcium antagonistic drug with a preferential cerebrovascular action
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Nimodipine, isopropyl (2-methoxy-ethyl) l,4-dihydro-2,6-dimethyl-4-(3-nitrophenyl)-3,5-pyridinedicarboxylate, is a new calcium antagonistic vasodilator with a preferential effect on brain vessels.
Nimodipine prevents spasm of the isolated rabbit basilar artery produced both by depolarization and by receptor stimulation. In peripheral vessels nimodipine does not inhibit agonistically induced contractions.
In vivo nimodipine also dilates predominantly cerebral vessels ; peripheral vasodilation resulting in a decrease in blood pressure is much less pronounced. Nimodipine prevents the impaired reperfusion of the brain caused by a transitory global cerebral ischaemia.
Nimodipine is predicted to be useful in the prophylaxis and treatment of cerebral vasospasm in humans.
- Allen, G. S., Bahr. A. L., Cerebral arterial spasm: Part 10. Reversal of acute and chronic spasm in dogs with orally administered nifedipine. Neuro- surgery4 (1979), 43–46.
- Kazda, S., Hoffmeister, F., Effect of some cerebral vasodilators on the postischaemic impaired cerebral reperfusion in cats. Arch. Pharmacol. Suppl.307 (1979), R43.
- Kazda, F., Hoffmeister, F., Garthoff, B., Towart, R., Prevention of the postischaemic impaired reperfusion of the brain by nimodipine (BAY e 9736). Acta Neurol. Scand.60, Suppl.72 (1979), 302–303.
- Kazda, S., Towart, R., Differences in the effect of the calcium antagonists nimodipine (BAY e 9736) and bencyclan on cerebral and peripheral vascular smooth muscle. Brit. J. Pharmacol.72 (1980), 582P-583P.
- Towart, R., The selective inhibition of serotonin-induced contractions of rabbit cerebral vascular smooth muscle by calcium antagonistic dihydro- pyridines: an investigation of the mechanism of action of nimodipine. Circ. Res.48 (1981), 650–657.
- Nimodipine: a new calcium antagonistic drug with a preferential cerebrovascular action
Volume 63, Issue 1-4 , pp 259-265
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors