Antibodies to spotted fever group rickettsiae in dogs in Croatia
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The prevalence of IgG antibodies to spotted fever group rickettsiae was studied by the indirect immunofluorescent antibody assay in a sample of 194 canine sera from different parts of Croatia. Dogs (n=141) from urban and suburban-semirural environs from the middle part of the eastern coast of Adriatic sea, and dogs (n=53) from Zagreb, the capital of Croatia located in the northern continental part of Croatia, were tested. The total of 88 (62.4%) dogs from southern coastal Croatia had antibodies toRickettsia conorii, with a significantly higher prevalence (69.9%) in suburban-semirural areas. The prevalence rate of antibodies toRickettsia conorii in canine sera from urban environment in the north of Croatia was 20.7%. The results show that the members of spotted fever group rickettsiae are present in both coastal and continental Croatia.
- Walker DH. Rickettsioses of the spotted fever group around the world. J Dermatol 1989; 16: 169–177.
- Tartaglia P. Eksantematična krpeljna groznica: Fievre boutonneuse. Glas Cent Hig Zavod 1939; 22: 306–313.
- Punda V, Milas I, Bradarić N, Kačić A, Klišmanić Z. Mediteranska pjegava groznica u Jugoslaviji. Liječ Vjesn 1984; 106: 286–288.
- Bradarić N, Grgić-Čvrk D, Ivić I, Kači ćA, Milas I. Clinical feature of rickettsial disease in the middle part of Dalmatia in the last ten years (1978–1987). G Mal Infett Parassit 1990; 42: 421–423.
- Radulovic S, Walker DH, Weiss K, Dzelalija B, Morovic M. Prevalence of antibodies to spotted fever group rickettsiae along the eastern coast of the Adriatic sea. J Clin Microbiol 1993; 31: 2225–2227.
- Gilot B, Laforge ML, Pichot J, Raoult D. Relationships between theRhipicephalus sanguineus complex ecology and Mediterranean spotted fever epidemiology in France. Eur J Epidemiol 1990; 6: 357–362.
- Kelly DJ, Osterman JV, Stephenson EH. Rocky Mountain spotted fever in areas of high and low prevalence: Survey for canine antibodies to spotted fever rickettsiae. Am J Vet Res 1982; 43: 1429–1431.
- Mansueto S, Vitale G. Antibodies toRickettsia conori in dogs in western Sicily. Trans Roy Soc Trop Med Hyg 1984; 78: 681–682.
- Sexton DJ, Burgdorfer W, Thomas L, Norment BR. Rocky Mountain spotted fever in Mississippi: Survey for spotted fever antibodies in dogs and for spotted-fever group rickettsiae in dog ticks. Am J Epid 1976; 103: 192–197.
- Mikačić D. Krpelji primorskog pojasa Jugoslavije, III: Rasprostranjenost i dinamika pojedinih vrsta u toku godine. Vet Arhiv 1965; 35: 155–170.
- Mikačić D. Prilog poznavanju biocenologije krpelja (Ixodidae) sjeverozapadne Hrvatske. Vet Arhiv 1968; 38: 23–27.
- Espejo E, Alegre MD, Font B, Segura F, Bella F. Antibodies toRickettsia conorii in dogs: seasonal differences. Eur J Epidemiol 1993; 9: 344–346.
- Petz B. Osnovne statističke metode za nematematičare. Zagreb: Sveučilišna naklada Liber, 1981.
- Raoult D, Toga B, Dunan S, Davoust B, Quilici M. Mediterranean spotted fever in the south of France: Serosurvey of dogs. Trop Geogr Med 1985; 37: 258–260.
- Herrero C, Pelaz C, Alvar J, Molina R, Vasquez J, Anda P, Casal J, Martin-Bourgon C. Evidence of the presence of spotted fever group rickettsiae in dogs and dog ticks of the central provinces in Spain. Eur J Epidemiol 1992; 8: 575–579.
- Herrero-Herrero JI, Ruiz-Beltran R, Martin-Sanchez AM, Garcia EJ. Mediterranean spotted fever in Salamanca, Spain: Epidemiological study in patients and serosurvey in animals and healthy human population. Acta trop (Basel) 1989; 46: 335–350.
- Tovornik D, Vesenjak-Hirjan J. A revision of ticks belonging to theRhipicephalus sanguineus complex (Latreille), collected in the Yugoslav coastal region. Biol Vestn 1988; 36: 77–84.
- Černy V. First case of introduction of the tickRhipicephalus sanguineus to Czechoslovakia. Folia Parasitol 1985; 32: 162–165.
- Rehaček J. Rickettsiae and their ecology in the Alpine region. Acta Virol 1993; 37: 290–301.
- Beati L, Finidori JP, Raoult D. First isolation ofRickettsia slovaca from Dermacentor marginatus in France. Am J Trop Med Hyg 1993; 48: 257–268.
- Burgdorfer W, Aeschlimann A, Peter O, Hayes SF, Philip RN.Ixodes ricinus vector of a hitherto undescribed spotted fever group agent in Switzerland. Acta Trop 1979; 36: 357–367.
- Beati L, Humair PF, Aeschlimann A, Raoult D. Identification of spotted fever group rickettsiae isolated fromDermacentor marginatus and Ixodes ricinus ticks collected in Switzerland. Am J Trop Med Hyg 1994; 51: 138–148.
- Beati L, Peter O, Burgdorfer W, Aeschlimann A, Raoult D. Confirmation thatRickettsia helvetica sp. nov. is a distinct species of the spotted fever group of rickettsiae. Int J Syst Bacteriol 1993; 43: 521–526.
- Raoult D, Arzouni J-P, Jambon MC, Beytout J, Ramousse O. Western blot as a seroepidemiologic tool for detecting foci of Mediterranean spotted fever (MSF). Eur J Epidemiol 1994; 10: 37–40.
- Antibodies to spotted fever group rickettsiae in dogs in Croatia
European Journal of Epidemiology
Volume 11, Issue 4 , pp 389-392
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Mediterranean spotted fever
- Rickettsia conorii
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Microbiology, Medical School University of Zagreb, Branch in Split and Clinical Medical Centre Split, Split, Croatia
- 2. Clinical Medical Centre Split, Split, Croatia
- 3. Institute for Public Health, Split, Croatia
- 4. School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia