An investigation of the maintenance and support characteristics of commercial software
- G. S. Cherf
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study demonstrates an objective method used to evaluate the ‘enhanceability’ of commercial software. It examines the relationship between enhancement and repair, and suggests that enhancement be considered when developing formal models of defect cause. Another definition of ‘defect-prone software’ is presented that concentrates attention on software that requires unusually high repair considering the magnitude of planned enhancement.
- Basili, V. and Perricone, B.T. (1984) Software errors and complexity: an empirical investigation.Communications of the ACM 27(1), pp. 42–52.
- Boehm, B.W. (1981)Software Engineering Economics (Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ).
- Box, Hunter and Hunter (1979)Statistics for Experimenters (John Wiley and Sons, New York).
- Curtis, B., Shepard, S.B., Milliman, P., Borst, M.A. and Love, T. (1979) Measuring the psychological complexity of software maintenance tasks with the Halstead and McCabe metrics.IEEE Transactions as Software Engineering SE-5, 295–303.
- Gibson, V. and Senn, J. (1989) System structure and software maintenance performance.Communications of the ACM 27(3), pp. 347–58.
- Gray, J. (1990) Personal communication, July.
- Halstead, M.H. (1977)Elements of Software Science (Elsevier North-Holland, New York).
- Harrison, W. and Cook, C. (1990)Insights on Improving the Maintenance Process Through Software Measurement TR 90-4, Portland State University, Portland, Oregon.
- Lientz, B.P. and Swanson, E.B. (1978) Characteristics of application software maintenance.Communications of the ACM 21(6), 466–71.
- Lind, R. and Vairavan, K. (1979). An experimental investigation of software metrics and their relationship to software development effort.IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering SE-15, 649–653.
- McCabe, T.J. (1976) A complexity measure.IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering SE-2, 308–20.
- Munson, J. and Khoshgoftaar, T.M. (1989) The dimensionality of program complexity, inProceedings of the 11th Annual International Conference on Software Engineering pp. 253–254.
- Myrvold, A. (1990) Data analysis for software metrics.Journal of Systems and Software 12(3).
- Sheedy, C. (1991) Sorceress — a database approach to software configuration management, inProceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Software Configuration Management, Trondheim, Norway.
- Shen, V., Yu, T., Thebaut, S.M. and Paulsen, L.R. (1985) Identifying error-prone software — an empirical study,IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering SE-11, 317–24.
- An investigation of the maintenance and support characteristics of commercial software
Software Quality Journal
Volume 1, Issue 3 , pp 147-158
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Software metrics
- software estimation
- change analysis
- defect prone software
- Industry Sectors
- G. S. Cherf (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Tandem Computers, Cupertino, California, USA