Prevalence and incidence of hepatitis B virus, hepatitis C virus and human immunodeficiency virus among personnel and patients of a psychiatric hospital
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In 1989 and 1992, HIV, HBV and HCV serosurveys were carried out among personnel and patients of an Italian Psychiatric Hospital. No HIV cases were found. Mean annual HBV seroconversion rate was 0.99% in patients and 4.4% in personnel; HCV rate was 0.42% among patients. Although the nosocomial risk of bloodborne infection was low, efforts should be made to minimize it.
- Abb J. Prevalence of hepatitis C virus antibodies in hospital personnel. Zentr Bakter 1991; 274: 543–547.
- Albertoni F, Di Nardo V, Ippolito G, et al. Regionwide survey of HBV markers in hospital workers in Latium, Italy. Presented at the 2nd International Conference of the Hospital Infection Society, London 1990; 132: P9/8.
- Albertoni F, Ippolito G, Perucci CA, et al. Strategies of hepatitis B vaccination at regional level. In: Coursaget P, Tong MJ, eds, Progress in Hepatitis B Immunization. Colloque INSERM. London: John Libbey Eurotext. Vol 194, 1990; 429–436.
- Centers for Disease Control. Universal Precautions for prevention of human immunodeficiency virus hepatitis B virus, and other bloodborne pathogens in health care settings. MMWR 1988; 37: 377–382, 387–388.
- Chaudhary RK, Perry E, Cleary TE. Prevalence of hepatitis B infection among residents of an institution for the mentally retarded. Am J Epidemiol 1977; 105: 123–126.
- Chaudhary RK, Perry E, Hicks F, Maclean C, Morbey M. Hepatitis B and C infection in an institution for the developmentally handicapped. N Engl J Med 1992; 327: 1953.
- Devuyst O, Maesen-Collard Y. Hepatitis B in a Belgian institution for mentally retarded patients: an epidemiological study. Acta Gastroenterol Belg 1991; 54: 12–18.
- Ellis CE, Erb LJ, Mckeown DJ, McFarlane GM. Hepatitis B control in Toronto classrooms for the mentally retarded: a seroprevalence survey. Can J Public Health 1990; 81: 156–160.
- Guadagnino V, Foca A, Caroleo B, et al. Anti-HCV antibodies in institutionalized psychiatric patients. Med Mal Infect 1991; 21: 414–415.
- Ippolito G, Puro V, De Carli G. The risk of occupational HIV infection in health care workers: Italian multicenter study. Arch Intern Med 1993; 153: 1451–1458.
- Kiyosawa K, Sodeyama T, Tanaka E, et al. Hepatitis C in hospital employees with needlestick injuries. Ann Intern Med 1991; 115: 367–369.
- Lee HK, Travin S, Bluestone H. HIV-1 in inpatients. Hosp Community Psychiatry 1992; 43: 181–182.
- Levinson WM, Wormser GP, Forseter G, Calmann M, O'Brien TA. Hepatitis C virus seroprevalence in the developmentally disabled. Arch Intern Med 1992; 152: 2309–2311.
- Petrosillo N, De Longis P, Antonelli L, et al. Incidence of hepatitis B infection in hospital personnel. In: Coursaget P, Tong MJ, eds, Progress in Hepatitis B Immunization. Colloque INSERM. London: John Libbey Eurotext. Vol 194. 1990; 267–268.
- Remis RS, Rossignol MA, Kane MA. Hepatitis B infection in a day school for mentally retarded students: transmission from students to staff. Am J Public Health 1987; 77: 1183–1186.
- Sacks M, Dermatis H, Looser-Ott S, Perry S. Seroprevalence of HIV and risk factors for AIDS in psychiatric inpatients. Hosp Community Psychiatry 1992; 43: 736–737.
- Satriano J, Courons F, Guido J, Kaplan M, Herman R, Horwath E. Psychiatric facilities and AIDS: and institutional response. Abstract X International Conference on AIDS, Berlin, Germany 1993; PO-D13-3753.
- Seef BL, Koff RS. Passive and active immunoprophylaxis of hepatitis B. Gastroenterology 1984; 86: 958–981.
- Sirchia G, Almini D, Bellobuono A, et al. Prevalence of hepatitis C virus antibodies in Italian blood donors. Vox Sanguinis 1990; 59: 26–29.
- Susser E, Valencia E, Conover S. Prevalence of HIV infection among psychiatric patients in a New York City men's shelter. Am J Public Health 1993; 83: 568–579.
- Volaka J, Convit A, O'Donnell J, et al. Assessment of risk behaviors for HIV infection among psychiatric inpatients. Hosp Community Psychiatry 1992; 43: 482–485.
- Vranckx R, Van Damme P. Hepatitis C in institutionalized children. N Engl J Med 1990; 323: 64.
- Wang J-T, Wang T-H, Lin J-T, Sheu J-C, Lin S-M, Chen D-S. Hepatitis C virus RNA in saliva of patients with post-transfusion hepatitis C infection. Lancet 1991; 337: 48.
- Prevalence and incidence of hepatitis B virus, hepatitis C virus and human immunodeficiency virus among personnel and patients of a psychiatric hospital
European Journal of Epidemiology
Volume 11, Issue 2 , pp 239-242
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Health care workers
- Psychiatric patients
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Divisione di Malattie Infettive, ospedale di Rieti, Italy
- 2. Centro Riferimento AIDS, Ospedale Lazzaro Spallanzani, Via Portuense 292, I-00149, Rome, Italy
- 3. Laboratorio, ospedale di Amatrice, Rieti, Italy