Evaluation of in vitro efficacy of the disinfectant Virkon
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A study was conducted on a new acid peroxygen system based disinfectant (Virkon), in order to assess its in vitro efficacy. The chemical was tested on different bacteria (Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Escherichia coli), spores (Bacillus subtilis) and on the Hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg), and compared in its activity with phenol and glutaraldehyde (calculation of the ‘phenol coefficient’ and the ‘glutaraldehyde coefficient’). The constancy of speed of disinfection, the coefficient of concentration, the minimal inhibitory concentration (MIC) were also determined, and the destruction of the HBsAg antigenic activity was studied using an ELISA kit. The sporicidal efficacy of Virkon was assessed by cultivating spores in agar nutrient after contact with different dilutions of the disinfectant. The results of the tests showed that Virkon has a high concentration coefficient (mean value of k: 0.374/min) and a wide range of action. The low MIC demonstrates how little concentrations of Virkon can inactivate all studied bacteria. The disinfectant was also able to destroy the hepatitis B surface antigen, and it demonstrated good activity against spores, especially if used in physiologic solution. These characteristics, coupled with the absence of irritation or toxic effects on animals showed by other studies, make wide fields of application for the new disinfectant foreseeable.
- Callegaro A, Albano G, Mucignat G, Pascoli L, Rubli F, Tarabini Castellani G, Santini GF. Valutazione dell'attività antimicrobica del disinfettante-sterilizzante Virkon. L'Igiene Moderna 1993; 98: 1–14.
- Clerici P, Pescatori T, Pagani N, DeCè F. Valutazione dell'attività battericida di un nuovo disinfettante (Virkon). An Ig 1992; 4: 113–117.
- Cutler RR, Wilson P, Clarke FV. Improving the use of bactec radiometry for testing the effect of disinfectants on mycobacterium tubercolosis. Abstract presented at the Meeting of the American Society of Microbiology, New Orleans 26–30 May 1992.
- Mandler F, Lacchini C, Penati V. Preliminari osservazioni sull'attività di un disinfettante (Virkon) sul Mycobacterium tubercolosis complex e Mycobacterium avium complex. National Congress of the Italian Clinical Microbiologists Association, Bari 5–7 October 1992.
- Ross PW. The efficacy and uses of Virkon disinfectant. Alpe Adria Microbiology Journal 1993; 4.
- Isiquaye KN. Inactivation of Hepatitis B viruses: evaluation of efficacy of disinfectants. Data on file.
- Clapham PR. Inactivation of HIV-1 with the disinfectant Antec Virkon. Data on file.
- Scouvart J. Virkon: Determination of sporicidal and fungicidal efficacy by the 5-5-5 test. Data on file.
- Ditommaso S, Bauducci M, Moiraghi Ruggenini A, Robbiano F, Serra R, Marchiaro G. Valutazione dell'efficacia di un nuovo principio disinfettante (sistema perossidico biodegradabile). Nota 2 — Applicazione su endoscopi prove in laboratorio ed in campo. L'Igiene Moderna 1993; 100: 606–621.
- Takatori K. Fungicidal efficacy of BJV-4093 and BJV-4026 (Virkon). Data on file.
- Ciaco A, Papi C, Fracasso PL, Cava MC, Capurso L. Impiego di una nuova preparazione a base di monop-ersolfato di potassio nella disinfezione di strumenti endoscopici. Studio pilota aperto. Gior Ital End Dig 1993; 16.
- Cantab Group. Acute oral toxicity in rats. Report for the Italian Ministry of Health.
- Viano I. Studio sulla tossicità acuta per via orale di Virkon No Foam su ratti. Report for the Italian Ministry of Health.
- Sainsbury DWB. Trials with Virkon in the drinking water of broiler poultry. Report for the Italian Ministry of Health.
- Lackenby F. Virkon: a primary skin irritation and corrosivity study in rabbit. Report for the Italian Ministry of Health.
- Jones JR. Virkon (1,0% w/v): skin irritation and corrosivity study in rabbit. Report for the Italian Ministry of Health.
- Albano A, Salvaggio L. Manuale di Igiene, 2nd ed. Padova: Piccin, 1987.
- Finzi G, Casadio E, Cenni MR. I disinfettanti chimici: principali metodiche di studio. Quaderni di Igiene Ospedaliera. Milano: B. Braum, 1984.
- Sainsbury DWB. Trials on poultry with sprayed disinfectants. Report for the Italian Ministry of Health.
- Evaluation of in vitro efficacy of the disinfectant Virkon
European Journal of Epidemiology
Volume 11, Issue 2 , pp 193-197
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Hygiene, University of Siena, Siena, Italy
- 2. Sclavo Industries, Pharmaceutical Sector, Siena
- 3. Public Health Department, University of Florence, Florence
- 4. General Medical Supply, Via degli Scozzesi 2, C.P. 67, I-00046, Grottaferrata (Roma), Italy