PathogenicNocardia isolated from clinical specimens including those of AIDS patients in Thailand
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Forty strains of nocardioform microorganisms were isolated as clinical specimens including several from AIDS patients in Thailand. Among them, 37 strains were found to belong to the genusNocardia. Our identification studies revealed that most of the strains(25 strains) belong to theN. asteroides group, i.e.,N. asteroides sensu stricto andN. farcinica. Three strains were identified asN. otitidiscaviarum and two strainsN. brasiliensis. In addition, 7 strains of rare pathogenicN. transvalensis were also isolated.
- Goodfellow M. The family Nocardiaceae. In Balows A, Truper HG, Dworkin M, et al. (eds), The Procaryotes, 2nd ed. New York: Springer Verlag, 1992: 188–1213.
- Simpson GL, Stinson EB, Egger MJ, Remington JS. Nocardial infections in the immunocompromised host: A detailed study in a defined population. Rev Infect Dis 1981; 3: 492–507.
- Beaman BL, Beaman L.Nocardia species: Hostparasite relationships. Clin Microbiol Rev 1994; 7: 213–264.
- Mirza SH, Campbell CC. Mycetoma caused byNocardia transvalensis. J Clin Pathol 1994; 47: 85–86.
- Schiff TA, Sanchez M, Moy J, Klirsfeld D, McNeil MF, Brown JM. Cutaneous nocardiosis caused byNocardia nova occurring in an HIV-infected individual: A case report and review of the literature. AIDS 1993; 6: 849–954.
- Lechevalier HA, Lechevalier MP. Chemical composition as a criterion in the classification of aerobic actinomycetes. Int J Syst Bacteriol 1970; 20: 435–443.
- Schaal KP. Indentification of clinically significant actinomycetes and related bacteria. In Goodfellow M, Minnikin DE (eds), Chemical methods in bacterial systematics. London: Academic Press, 1985: 359–381.
- Holt JG, Krieg NR, Sneath PHA, Stalley JJ, Williams ST. Bergey's manual of determinative bacteriology. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1994.
- Wallace RJ, Brown BA, Tsukamura M, Brown JM, Onyi GO. Clinical and laboratory featuresof Nocardia nova. J Clin Microbiol 1991; 29: 2407–2411.
- Mikami Y, Yazawa K. Susceptibility patterns of pathogenicNocardia to some selected antimicrobial agents and their usefulness in the identification work in a clinical laboratory. Bull of JFCC 1989; 5: 89–95.
- Gordon RE, Barnet DA, Handerhan JE, Pang CH.Nocardia coelica, Nocardia autotrophica, and the Nocardia strain. Int J Syst Bacteriol 1974; 24: 54–63.
- Tsukamura M. An improved selective medium for atypical mycobacteria. Jap J Microbiol 1972; 16: 243–246.
- Ishibashi Y, Watanabe R, Hommura S, Koyama A, Ishikawa T, Mikami Y. EndogenousNocardia asteroides endophthalmitis in a patient with systemic lupus erythematosus. Br J Ophthalonal 1990; 74: 433–436.
- Butler WR, Kilburn JO, Kubica GP. High-performance liquid chromatography analysis of mycolic acids as an aid in laboratory identification ofRhodococcus and Nocardia species. J Clin Microbiol 1987; 25: 2126–2131.
- Miyashita K, Mikami Y, Arai T. Alkalophilic actinomycete,Nocardiopsis dassonvillei subsp. prasina subsp. nov., isolated from soil. Int J Syst Bacteriol 1984; 34: 405–409.
- Tsukamura M. Numerical analysis of the taxonomy of nocardiae and rhodococci. Microbiol Immunol 1982; 26: 1101–1119.
- Yazawa K, Mikami Y, Ueno Y, Morisaki N, Iwasaki S, Furihata K. Inactivation of the macrolide antibiotics erythromycin, midecamycin, and rokitamycin by pathogenicNocardia species. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1994; 38: 2197–2199.
- Chum J, Goodfellow M. A phylogenetic analysis of the genusNocardia with 16S rRNA gene sequences. Int J Syst Bacteriol 1995; 45: 240–245.
- Gugunani HC, Ojukwu JO, Suseelan AV. Mycetoma of thumb caused byNocardia transvalensis. Mycopathology 1982; 80: 35–60.
- Yang L-J, Chan H-L, Chen W-J, Kuo T-T. Lymphocutaneous nocardiosis caused byNocardia caviae: The first case report from Asia. J Am Acad Dermatol 1993; 29: 639–641.
- Javaly K, Horowitz HW, Wormser GP. Nocardiosis in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection. Medicine (Baltimore) 1992; 71: 128–138.
- Kim J, Minamoto GY, Grieco MH.Nocardia infection as a complication of AIDS: Report of six cases and review. Rev Infect Dises 1991; 13: 624–629.
- Yano I, Imaeda T, Tsukamura M. Characterization ofNocardia nova. Int J Syst Bacteriol 1990; 40: 170–174.
- PathogenicNocardia isolated from clinical specimens including those of AIDS patients in Thailand
European Journal of Epidemiology
Volume 11, Issue 5 , pp 507-512
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- AIDS patients
- Isolation and identification
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Mycology section, Division of Clinical Pathology, Department of Medical Sciences, National Institute of Health, Nonthaburi, Thailand
- 2. Research Center for Pathogenic Fungi and Microbial Toxicoses, Chiba University, 1-8-1, Inohana, Chuo-ku, 260, Chiba, Japan
- 3. Chiba City Institute of Health, Mihama-ku, Chiba, Japan
- 4. JICA (AIDS Project), National Institute of Health, Nonthaburi, Thailand