Toward a general theory of managerial discretion
368 Downloads 200 Citations 9 Comments
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The authors are respectively, professors at theEcole nationale d'administration publique, Quebec and atUniversity Laval, Quebec. They wish to thank Rolland Hurtubise for his helpful comments. They also wish to express their appreciation to theConseil des universites du Quebec for its financial support.
- Atcheson, K. and Chant, J. F. “The Choice of Monetary Instruments and the Theory of Bureaucracy”,Public Choice 12 (Spring 1972): 13–32.
- Baumol, W. J.Business Behavior, Value and Growth. New York: The MacMillan Co., 1959.
- —— and Bowen, W.The Economics of the Performing Arts. New York: The Twentieth Century Fund, 1966.
- Boulding, K. E.Economic Analysis. (3rd ed.) New York: Harper & Brothers, 1955.
- Buchanan, J. M. and Devletoglou, N. E.Academia in Anarchy. New York: Basic Books Inc., 1970.
- ——.The Inconsistencies of the National Health Service. (Occasional Paper 7) London: Institute of Economic Affairs Ltd, November 1965.
- Culyer, A. J. “Utility-Maximizing View of Universities”,Scottish J. Polit. Econ. 17 (November 1970): 349–368.
- Cyert, R. M. and Hedrick, L. “Theory of the Firm: Past, Present and Future; an Interpretation”,J. Econ. Literature 10 (June 1972): 398–412.
- Evans, R.Maximizing. Models of the Hospital Firm. Mimeo, Vancouver: Department of Economics, August 1970.
- Feldstein, M.Economic Analysis for Health Service Efficiency. Chicago: Markham, 1968.
- ——. “Hospital Cost Inflation: A Study of Nonprofit Price Dynamics”,Amer. Econ. Rev. 51 (December 1971): 853–872.
- Lancaster, K. J. “A New Approach to Consumer Theory”,J. Polit. Econ. 74 (April 1966): 132–157.
- Levy, F. K. “Economic Analysis of the Non-Profit Institution—The Case of the Private University,”Public Choice 4 (Spring 1968): 3–18.
- Machlup, F.The Political Economy of Monopoly. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins Press, 1952.
- Marris, R.The Economic Theory of “Managerial” Capitalism. New York: The Free Press, 1964.
- Newhouse, J. P. “Toward a Theory of Nonprofit Institution: An Economic Model of a Hospital”,Amer. Econ. Rev. 50 (March 1970): 64–74.
- Niskanen, W. A.Bureaucracy and Representative Government. Chicago: Aldine-Atherton, 1971.
- Peacock, A. T. and Culyer, A. J.Economic Aspects of Student Unrest. (Occasional Paper 26), London: Institute of Economic Affairs Ltd, 1969.
- Tullock, G. “Public Decisions as Public Goods”,J. Polit. Econ. 79 (July/August 1971): 913–918.
- Williamson, O. E.The Economics of Discretionary Behavior: Managerial Objectives in a Theory of the Firm. Englewood Cliffs, N. J.: Prentice-Hall, 1964.
- Migué, J.-L. and Bélanger, G., “Toward a General Theory of Managerial Discretion”,Public Choice, XVII (Spring 1974).
- Niskanen, W. A.,Bureaucracy and Representative Government, Chicago, 1971.
- --, “Comment”,Public Choice, XVII (Spring 1974).
- Pauly, M. and Redisch, M., “The-Not-For-Profit Hospital as a Physicians' Cooperative”,Amer. Econ. Rev., 63, (Mar. 1973), 87–99.
- Toward a general theory of managerial discretion
Volume 17, Issue 1 , pp 27-47
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links