Epidemic dissemination ofSalmonella enterica spp.enterica serovar Bovismorbificans in southern Italy in the years 1989–1991
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Epidemic strains ofSalmonella enterica subsp.enterica serovar Bovismorbificans isolated in southern Italy during the years 1989–1991 were submitted to a molecular epidemiological study in comparison with isolates identified in the years 1980–1988 in the same geographic area. Genomic DNA fragments obtained by digestion withBglI orEco RI hybridized withEscherichia coli rRNA to produce three distinct, but highly related patterns. Ribotype 1, which had never been identified before 1989, was found to characterize most of the strains identified between 1989 and 1991. Such a finding supports the hypothesis of emergence and spread of a new bacterial clone associated with the increased number of human infections reported in the same years in southern Italy.
- Le Minor L, Grimont PAD. Origine et répartition en sérovars des souches deSalmonella isolées en France continentale au cours des années 1984 à 1987. Méd Mal Infect 1989; 19: 12–17.
- Carter ME, Cordes DO, Carman MG. Observations on acute salmonellosis in four Waikato dairy herds. NZ Vet J 1983; 31: 10–12.
- Nastasi A, Massenti MF, Mammina C, Villafrate MR, Cannova L.Salmonella serovars identified at the Centre for Enterobacteriaceae of Palermo over the 5-year period 1983–1987. Eur J Epidemiol 1990; 6: 212–218.
- Simonin C, Bayle A, Zurlinden A, Triozon F. Epidémiologie desSalmonella isolées au CHG de Macon de 1980 à 1990. Méd Mal Infect 1992; 22: 674–677.
- Edwards PR, Ewing WH. Identification ofEnterobacteriaceae. New York: Elsevier, 1986.
- Birnboim HC, Doly J. A rapid alkaline extraction procedure for screening recombinant plasmid DNA. Nucl Acids Res 1979; 7: 1513–1523.
- Sambrook J, Fritsch EF, Maniatis T. Molecular cloning: A laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, 1989.
- Pitcher DG, Saunders NA, Owen RJ. Rapid extraction of bacterial genomic DNA with guanidinium thiocyanate. Lett Appl Microbiol 1989; 8: 151–156.
- Forster AC, McInnes JL, Skingle DC, Symons RH. Non radioactive hybridization probes prepared by chemical labelling of DNA and RNA with a novel reagent, photobiotin. Nucl Acids Res 1985; 3: 745–761.
- Grimont F, Grimont PAD. Ribosomal ribonucleic acid gene restriction patterns as potential taxonomic tools. Ann Inst Pasteur/Microbiol 1986; 137B: 165–175.
- Glenn Morris J, Dwyer DM, Hoge CW, Stubbs A, Tilghman D, Groves C, Israel E, Libonati JP. Changing clonal patterns ofSalmonella enteritidis in Maryland: Evaluation of strains isolated between 1985 and 1990. J Clin Microbiol 1992; 30: 1301–1303.
- Riley LW, DiFerdinando GT, DeMelfi TM, Cohen ML. Evaluation of isolated cases of salmonellosis by plasmid profile analysis: Introduction and transmission of a bacterial clone by precooked roast beef. J Infect Dis 1983; 148: 12–17.
- Epidemic dissemination ofSalmonella enterica spp.enterica serovar Bovismorbificans in southern Italy in the years 1989–1991
European Journal of Epidemiology
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 81-84
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Bovismorbificans serovar
- rRNA-DNA hybridization
- Industry Sectors