Intra-abdominal pressure measurement using a modified nasogastric tube: Description and validation of a new technique
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study assessed the accuracy of an intragastric method of measuring intra-abdominal pressure (IAP).
Prospective sequential study with simultaneous paired measurement of gastric and urinary bladder pressures.
Operating theatre, University Teaching Hospital.Patients: 9 patients undergoing laparoscopic cholecystectomy were studied.
Intraperitoneal pressures were monitored during peritoneal insufflation at laparoscopy up to a pressure of 20 mmHg.
Measurements and results
Intra-abdominal pressure measurements were recorded simultaneously using a gastric balloon and urinary catheter. Gastric pressure may be up to 4 mmHg higher or 3 mmHg lower than urinary bladder pressure.
Intra-abdominal pressure can be measured easily in this new fashion, allowing a continuous pressure trend to be obtained without interfering with urinary output estimation.
- Platell CF, Hall J, Clarke G, Lawerence Brown M (1990) Intra-abdominal pressure and renal function after surgery to the abdominal aorta. Aust NZ J Surg 60:213–216
- Platell C, Hall J, Dobb G (1990) Impaired renal function due t raised intra-abdominal pressure. Intensive Care Med 16:328–329
- Thorington JM, Schmidt CF (1923) A study of urinray output and blood pressure changes resulting in experimental ascites. Am J Med Sci 165:880–890
- Bradley SE, Bradley GP (1947) The effect of increased intra-abdominal pressure on renal funcion in man. J Clin Invest 26:1010–1022
- Diebel LN, Wilson RF, Dulchavshy SA, Saxe J (1992) Effect on increased intra-abdominal pressure on hepatic arterial, portal venous, and hepatic microcirculatory blood flow. J Trauma 33:279–283
- Kron IL, Harman PK, Nolan SP (1984) The measurement on intra-abdominal pressure as a criterion for abdominal re-exploration. Ann Surg 196:594–597
- Iberti TJ, Lieber CE, Benjamin E (1989) Determination of intra-abdominal pressure using a transurethral bladder catheter: clinical validation of the technique. Anesthesiology 70:47–50
- Fiddian-Green RG (1991) Should measurement of tissue pH and PO2 be included in the routine monitoring of intensive care unit patients? Crit Care Med 19:141–143
- Vantrappen G (1982) The migrating myoelectric complex. In: Weinbeck M (ed) Motility of the digestive tract. Raven Press, New York, pp 157–167
- Bland JM, Altman DG (1986) Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two methods of clinical measurement. Lancet I:307–309
- Celoria G, Steingrub J, Dawson JA, Teres D (1987) Oliguria from high intra-abdominal pressure secondary to ovarian mass. Crit Care Med 15:78–79
- Motew M, Ivankovich AD, Bieniarz J, Albrecht RF, Zahed B, Scommegna A (1973) Cardiovascular effects and acid base and blood gas changes during laparoscopy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 115: 1002–1012
- Richards WO, Scovill W, Shin B, Reed W (1982) Acute renal failure associated with increased intra-abdominal pressure. Ann Surg 197:183–187
- Intra-abdominal pressure measurement using a modified nasogastric tube: Description and validation of a new technique
Intensive Care Medicine
Volume 20, Issue 8 , pp 588-590
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Intra-abdominal pressure measurement
- Gastric tonometry
- Industry Sectors