Comparison of the indirect immunofluorescent antibody test and the direct agglutination test for serodiagnosis of visceral Leishmaniasis in HIV-infected subjects
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
One hundred subjects positive for anti-human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) antibodies were tested for anti-Leishmania antibodies by the indirect immunofluorescent antibody test (IFAT) and the direct agglutination test (DAT). Subjects were subsequently followed for two years to monitor the onset of visceral leishmaniasis. Fifteen subjects were positive for anti-Leishmania antibodies in either one or both tests. Eleven were positive only by IFAT, one only by DAT, and three by both tests. During the two-year follow-up period, nine subjects developed visceral leishmaniasis; of these, six were serologically positive, four by IFAT alone and two by both tests. The results indicate that IFAT and DAT have a similar specificity but that IFAT has a higher sensitivity and a greater diagnostic significance.
- Lopez-Brea M: Diagnostico serologico de la leishmaniasis viscerale por immunofluorescencia directa. Revista Clinica Espanóla 1983, 169: 233–235.
- Harith AE, Kolk AHJ, Kager PA, Leeuwnburg J, Faber FG, Muigal R, Kinder S, Laarman JJ: Evaluation of a newly developed direct agglutination test (DAT) for serodiagnosis and seroepidemiological studies of visceral leishmaniasis: comparison with IFAT and ELISA. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 1987, 81: 603–606.
- Magda EA, Shahinaz FA, El Shwnnawy S, El Haam AS: Evaluation of a direct agglutination test and blue dye-test in diagnosis of cutaneous leishmaniasis. Journal of the Egyptian Society of Parasitology 1992, 22: 122–126.
- Singla N, Singh GS, Sundar S, Vinayak VK: Evaluation of the direct agglutination test as an immunodiagnostic tool for kala-azar in India. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 1993, 87: 276–278.
- El-Safi SH, Evans DA: A comparison of the direct agglutination test and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay in the serodiagnosis of leishmaniasis in the Sudan. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 1989, 83: 334–337.
- Guimaraes MC, Celeste BJ: Performance indexes of a dot-enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (dot-ELISA) and an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (IgGELISA) for field surveys of New World leishmaniasis. Revista do Institute de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo 1991, 33: 385–389.
- Okong'o-Odera EA, Wamachi A, Kagai JM, Kurtzhals JAL, Githure JI, Hey AS, Were JBO, Koech DK, Mitema ES, Kharazmi A: Field application of an ELISA using redefinedLeishmania antigens for the detection of visceral leishmaniasis. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 1993, 87: 423–424.
- Alvar J: Leishmaniasis and AIDS co-infection: the Spanish example. Parasitology Today 1994, 10: 160–163.
- Harith AE, Kolk AHJ, Kager PA, Leeuwnburg J, Muigal R, Kungu S, Laarman JJ: A simple and economical direct agglutination test for serodiagnosis and sero-epidemiological studies of visceral leishmaniasis. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 1986, 80: 583–586.
- Nigro L, Vinci C, Romano F, Russo R: Comportamento sierologico specifico della leishmaniosi viscerale in soggetti con infezione da HIV. La Medicina Tropicale 1995, 1–2: 19–21.
- Rosenthal E, Marty P, Poizot-Martin I, Reynes J, Pratling F, Lafeullade A, Jaubert D, Boulat O, Defeure J, Gambarelli F: Visceral leishmaniasis and HIV-1 coinfection in southern France. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 1995, 89: 159–162.
- Piarroux R, Gambarelli F, Dumon H, Fontes M, Dunan S, Mary C, Toga B, Quilici M: Comparison of PCR with direct examination of bone marrow aspiration, myeloculture, and serology for diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis in immunocompetent patients. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 1994, 32: 746–749.
- Comparison of the indirect immunofluorescent antibody test and the direct agglutination test for serodiagnosis of visceral Leishmaniasis in HIV-infected subjects
European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Volume 15, Issue 10 , pp 832-835
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors