Empowerment: An emerging mental health technology
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper addresses the theory and practice of empowerment as an emerging mental health technology, as well as its relationship to prevention. The paper begins with a discussion of the increasing interest in empowerment by preventionists. Definitional issues are then considered; in this context the disparate philosophical world views of empowerment and prevention are outlined. Next, attention is directed to emprowerment in practice. This section is followed by a discussion of possible roles for professionals in empowerment activities. The paper ends with a note of caution to mental health professionals who plan to use the emerging technology of empowerment.
- Albee, G.W. (1981) Politics, power, prevention, and social change. In J.M. Joffe, & G.W. Albee (Eds.)Primary Prevention of Psychopathology, Vol. 5: Prevention through Political Action and Social Change. Hanover, NH: University Press of New England, 5–25.
- Alinsky, S.D. (1969).Reveille for Radicals. New York: Vintage.
- Alinsky, S.D. (1972).Rules for Radicals. New York: Vintage.
- Altman, I. & Rogoff, B. (in press). World views in environmental psychology: Trait, interactional, organismic and transactional perspectives. In D. Stokols, & I. Altman (Eds.),Handbook of Environmental Psychology. New York: Wiley.
- Altshuler, A.A. (1970)Community Control: The Black Demand for Participation in Large American Cities. Indianapolis, IN: Pegasus.
- American Psychological Association Monitor (June 1986),17 (6), 13.
- Appelbaum, R.P. (1970)Theories of Social Change. Chicago, IL: Markham.
- Bachrach, P., & Baratz, M.S. (1970).Power and Poverty: Theory and Practice New York: Oxford University.
- Brager, G.A., & Purcell, F.P. (Eds.). (1967).Community Action Against Poverty: Readings from the Mobilization Experience. New Haven, CT: College and University Press.
- Brody, J.G., Fleishman, J., & Galavotti, C. (1986).Community responses to nuclear waste: Research as a public participation strategy. Paper delivered at Annual Meeting of American Psychological Association, Washington, D.C.
- Broverman, I., Broverman, D., Clarkson, F., Rosenkrantz, P., & Vogel, S. (1970). Sex role sterotypes and clinical judgments of mental health.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 34(1), 1–7.
- Cahn, E.S., & Passett, B.A. (Eds.) (1971).Citizen Participation: Effecting Community Change. New York: Praeger.
- Dolbeare, K.M., Dolbeare, P., & Hadley J.A. (Eds.) (1973).Readings in American Ideology. Chicago, IL: Markham.
- Donovan, J.D. (1967).The Politics of Poverty. New York: Pegasus.
- Erikson, E. (1950).Childhood and Society. New York: W. W. Norton.
- Fanon, F. (1965).The Wretched of the Earth. (Translated by Constance Farrington.) New York: Grove Press.
- Freire, P. (1970).Pedagogy of the Oppressed. (Translated by Myra B. Ramos.) New York: Continuum/Scribner.
- Friedan, B. (1963).The Feminine Mystique. New York: W. W. Norton.
- Gallant, R., Cohen, C., & Wolff, T. (1985). Change of older persons' image, impact on public policy result from Highland Valley empowerment plant.Perspectives on Aging, 14(5), 9–13.
- Gilligan, C. (1982).In A Different Voice: Psychological Theory and Women's Development. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University.
- Gruber, J. & Trickett, E.J. (in press). Can we empower others? The paradox of empowerment in the governing of an alternative high school.American Journal of Psychology.
- Joffe, J.M., & Albee, G.W. (Eds.) (1981).Primary Prevention of Psychopathology, Vol. 5: Prevention through Political Action and Social Change. Hanover, N.H.: University Press of New Hampshire.
- Kahn, S. (1970).How People Get Power: Organizing Oppressed Communities for Action. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Kahn, S. (1982).Organizing: A Guide for Grassroots Leaders. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Katz, R. (1984). Empowerment and Synergy: Expanding the Community's Healing Resources. In: J. Rappaport, C. Swift & R. Hess (Eds.)Prevention in Human Services. Studies in Empowerment: Steps toward Understanding and Action.3(2/3), 201–226. New York: The Haworth Press.
- Kautzer, K. (n.d.). A review of scholarly literature on the theme of empowerment, Waltham, MA: Brandeis University, The Heller School.
- Keller, E.F. (1985)Reflections on Gender and Science. New Haven: Yale University.
- Kramer, R. (1969).Participation of the Poor: Comparative Case Studies in the War on Poverty. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall.
- Kramer, R.M., & Specht, H. (1969)Readings in Community Organization Practice. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall.
- Levin, G.B. (1975).Crossing Class Lines: Perspectives on Social Inequality and Class Consciousness. Unpublished doctoral dissertation. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan.
- Marris, P., & Rein, M. (1969).Dilemmas of Social Reform: Poverty and Community Action in The United States. New York: Atherton Press.
- Maruyama, M. (1983). Cross-cultural perspectives on social and community change. In E. Seidman (Ed.),Handbook of Social Intervention. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage Publications.
- Mayer, R.R. (1972).Social Planning and Social Change. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall.
- Miller, J.B. (1976).Toward a New Psychology of Women. Boston, MA: Beacon Press.
- Miller, J.B. (1982). Women and power. Work in Progress Paper, No. 82-01, Wellesley, MA: Wellesley College, The Stone Center for Development Service and Studies.
- Moynihan, D.P. (1969).Maximum Feasible Misunderstanding: Community Action in The War on Poverty. New York: The Free Press.
- O'Donnell, R., Kraus, S., Velasquez, M., & Shustitsky, J. (1986).Balancing local realities with empowerment ideals in Community Support Program development. Paper delivered at Annual Meeting of American Psychological Association, Washington, D.C.
- Oppenheimer, M., & Lakey, G. (1965).A Manual for Direct Action: Strategy and Tactics for Civil Righs and All Other Nonviolent Protest Movements. Chicago: Quadrangle Books.
- Perlman, R. & Gurin, A. (1972).Community Organization and Social Planning. New York: John Wiley and Sons.
- Perry, H.L. (1980). The socioeconomic impact of black political empowerment in a rural southern locality.Rural Sociology, 45(2), 207–222.
- Rappaport, J. (1981). In praise of paradox: A social political emprowerment over prevention.American Journal of Community Psychology, 9, 1–25.
- Rappaport, J. (in press). Terms of empowerment/exemplars of prevention: Toward a theory for Community Psychology.American Journal of Community Psychology.
- Rappaport, J., Swift C., & Hess, R. (Eds.) (1984).Studies in Empowerment: Steps toward Unterstanding and Action. New York: The Haworth Press.
- Riger, S. (1980). “Toward a Community Psychology of empowerment.” Paper delivered at meeting of Midwestern Psychological Association, St. Louis, MO. Reprinted in theDivision of Community Psychology Newsletter. 1981.14, 2–3.
- Riger, S. (1981). “The life and death of feminist movement organizations: A research agenda.” Paper delivered at Annual Meeting of American Psychological Association, Los Angeles, CA.
- Rose, S.M. (1972)Betrayal of the Poor: The Transformation of Community Action Cambridge, MA: Schenkman.
- Ryan, W. (1976).Blaming the Victim. New York: Vintage.
- Silberman, C.E. (1965). “The mixed-up war on poverty,”Fortune, LXXII (2), 226.
- Spivack, G. (1986). “Enhancing social cognitive competence as a freeing, empowering civilizing venture.” Paper delivered at Annual Meeting of American Psychological Association; Washington, D.C.
- Stone, W.F. (1974).The Psychology of Politics. New York: The Free Press.
- Swift, C. (1984). Foreword: Empowerment: An Antidote for Folly. In J. Rappaport, C. Swift, & R. Hess (Eds.)Prevention in Human Services. Studies in Empowerment: Steps toward Understanding and Action. 3(2/3), xi-xv. New York: The Haworth Press.
- Tadmor, C.S., & Brandes, J.M. (1984). “The perceived personal control crisis intervention model in the prevention of emotional dysfunction for a high risk group of caesarean birth.”Journal of Primary Prevention, 4.
- Vincent, T., & Trickett, E.J. (1983). Preventive intervention and the human context: Ecological approaches to environmental assessment and change. In R.D. Felner, L.A. Jason, J.N. Moritsugu, & S.S. Farber (Eds.)Preventive Psychology: Theory, Research and Practice. New York: Pergamon Press, 67–86.
- Wolff, T. (1986).Community empowerment in areas of high unemployment. Paper delivered at Annual Meeting of American Psychological Association, Washington, D.C.
- Worden, O., Levin, G. & Chesler M. (1977). Racism, sexism, and class elitism: Changeagents' dilemmas in combatting oppression. In A.G. Sargent (Ed.)Beyond Sex Roles. St. Paul, MN: West Publishing.
- Empowerment: An emerging mental health technology
Journal of Primary Prevention
Volume 8, Issue 1-2 , pp 71-94
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links