Counter machines and counter languages
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The languages recognizable by time- and space-restricted multiple-counter machines are compared to the languages recognizable by similarly restricted multipletape Turing machines. Special emphasis is placed on languages definable by machines which operate in “real time”. Time and space requirements for counter machines and Turing machines are analyzed. A number of questions which remain open for time-restricted Turing machines are settled for their counter machine counterparts.
- A. Cobham, Time and memory capacity bounds for machines which recognize squares or palindromes,IBM Research Report RC-1621, 1966.
- P. C. Fischer, Turing machines with restricted memory access.Information and Control 9 (1966), 364–379.
- M. J. Fischer andA. L. Rosenberg, Real-time solutions of the origin-crossing problem.Math. Systems Theory 2 (1968), 257–263.
- S. Ginsburg,The Mathematical Theory of Context-Free Languages, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1966.
- S. Ginsburg andE. H. Spanier, BoundedAlgol-like languages,Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 113 (1964), 333–368.
- J. Hartmanis andR. E. Stearns, On the computational complexity of algorithms,Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 117 (1965), 285–306.
- R. Laing, Realization and complexity of commutative events,Univ. of Mich. Technical Report 03105-48-T, 1967.
- M. Minsky, Recursive unsolvability of Post's problem of tag and other topics in the theory of Turing machines,Ann. of Math. 74 (1961), 437–455.
- A. G. Oettinger, Automatic syntactic analysis and the pushdown store,Proc. 12th Ann. Sympos. in Appl. Math., 1960, pp. 104–129.
- R. J. Parikh, On context-free languages.J. Assoc. Comput. Mach. 13 (1966), 570–581.
- M. O. Rabin, Real-time computation,Israel J. Math. 1 (1963), 203–211.
- M. O. Rabin andD. Scott, Finite automata and their decision problems,IBM J. Res. Develop. 3 (1959), 114–125.
- A. L. Rosenberg, Real-time definable languages,J. Assoc. Comput. Mach. 14 (1967), 645–662.
- R. E. Stearns, J. Hartmanis andP. Lewis, Hierarchies of memory-limited computation,Proc. 6th Ann. Sympos. Switching Circuit Theory and Logical Design, Ann Arbor, Mich., 1966, pp. 179–190.
- Counter machines and counter languages
Mathematical systems theory
Volume 2, Issue 3 , pp 265-283
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors